2 Questions Need Help Please

Decorating By leeesha1711 Updated 28 Feb 2014 , 8:41pm by Relznik

leeesha1711 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 11

ABasically I want to make a round rainbow cake which I have made before but want to marzipan it. It's made of all purpose flour and the normal ingredients a sponge cake has just different colours and layered of them colours. So anyone I have two questions

1. Instead of using marmalade to stick the marzipan on can I use the buttercream icing I make for the cake and spread it over and then put the marzipan on

2. I have a cake smoother but I see everyone using two I only brought this one today can I just use the one or do I need another is this ok for my round cake

[ATTACHMENT=1536]image.jpg (128k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

10 replies
leeesha1711 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 11

AReally need help peeps

AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 11

AYes to both questions

LeanneW Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 11

Marzipan will not stretch like fondant, so the application will be different than fondant. I recommend you do get a second smoother eventually, but for this application it may not be necessary. 

 

I would roll out the marzipan with powdered sugar underneath it and cut panels to apply to the cake, trim them to fit. You can use your smoother to press it onto the cake so you don't get finger prints.

 

As for the jam vs BC, what kind of BC are you using? Does it crust? If you use a meringue BC that doesn't crust I would stick the marzipan directly onto the chilled BC, but if your BC crusts you will need to make it sticky to attach the marzipan. I don't use crusting BC, but I have heard of people spritzing the cake with water or vodka.

 

Here is a video which uses fondant paneled over ganache, you could use the same method, but use PS not cornstarch with marzipan:

http://cakecentral.com/b/tutorial/panel-round-cake-fondant

leeesha1711 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 2:27am
post #5 of 11

Ait has to b chilled buttercream. It's just a bc off YouTube so idk wat u mean about crust lol I'm not too familiar

Even if I use marmalade can't I use strawberry jam without bits and do u boil it in microwave before brushing it over cake

leeesha1711 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 8:15am
post #6 of 11

ABump

Relznik Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 9:01am
post #7 of 11

I always use buttercream (just normal crusting buttercream - ie 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part butter) underneath my marzipan on sponge cakes. (I use smooth apricot jam when marizpanning a fruit cake).

 

Next time, if you get another smoother, get one that has a straight edge - the one you have has sort of bevelled edges.  It will make it easier to get it smooth right down to the bottom of the cake.

LeanneW Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeesha1711 

it has to b chilled buttercream. It's just a bc off YouTube so idk wat u mean about crust lol I'm not too familiar

Even if I use marmalade can't I use strawberry jam without bits and do u boil it in microwave before brushing it over cake

 

You can definitely use any kind of smooth jelly that you heat up. If it is a powdered sugar based BC, it's likely crusting. This means that the icing will form a crust so it won't be sticky, which is desirable for many techniques. But when you need fondant or marzipan to stick to it, you need to add moisture so it will stick. If you tried to apply the marzipan on the crusted buttercream, it would just slide off.

 

If the buttercream crusts, you will know by lightly touching it with your finger if it doesn't stick to your finger, you can spritz it with water from a clean water bottle, or you could brush the jelly on the crusted buttercream with a very light touch.

LeanneW Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relznik 
 

I always use buttercream (just normal crusting buttercream - ie 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part butter) underneath my marzipan on sponge cakes. (I use smooth apricot jam when marizpanning a fruit cake).

 

How do you apply the marzipan? Do you use the method of paneling, or do you drape it like fondant?

Relznik Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneW 
 

 

How do you apply the marzipan? Do you use the method of paneling, or do you drape it like fondant?


It depends on the cake.  For square cakes I more often than not do panels these days.  But for round cakes, I drape it as if it was fondant.

 

I warm my marzipan in the microwave for about 20 seconds to warm it and make it a little more pliable...  then just knead it well before rolling out and covering the cake.

 

Suzanne x

Relznik Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeanneW 
 

 

You can definitely use any kind of smooth jelly that you heat up. If it is a powdered sugar based BC, it's likely crusting. This means that the icing will form a crust so it won't be sticky, which is desirable for many techniques. But when you need fondant or marzipan to stick to it, you need to add moisture so it will stick. If you tried to apply the marzipan on the crusted buttercream, it would just slide off.

 

I don't have that problem...  just a thin layer immediately before marzipanning and it sticks fine. :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%