Melted Chocolate Added To Plastic Icing (Fondant)?

Decorating By nosh Updated 28 Feb 2014 , 2:26pm by nosh

nosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nosh Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 8

APlease advice whether I can add melted chocolate to plastic icing? i don`t like the taste of p/icing and I don`t think South African brides do either. I am not new to baking but I am new to working with chocolate and modelling chocolate. Looking forward to your responses.

7 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8
nosh Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 8

AWow thanks so much. Feeling more confident...I would just like to be 100% about one thing though - will it work with store bought fondant or must it be a home made fondant and if okay, how much chocolate do I use. the ready made fondant come in quantities of 1kg packs and I will be needing to use at least 2 packs. the fondant will remain white which means I will be using white chocolate. Any idea on the quantity of chocolate. Its ok to let me have the pounds/oz measurements because I usually just convert it into South African terms lol (if that makes sense). thanks a mil!!!!!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 12:57am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosh 

Please advice whether I can add melted chocolate to plastic icing? i don`t like the taste of p/icing and I don`t think South African brides do either. I am not new to baking but I am new to working with chocolate and modelling chocolate. Looking forward to your responses.

http://cakecentral.com/newsearch?search=modeling+chocolate+and+fondant&=Search

tons of threads on this.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 3:12am
post #5 of 8

I do it all the time, but I use wedding white or ultra white chocolate and it improves the texture but not the taste.  For a better taste, use flavored oils (clear extracts).

nosh Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 6:17am
post #6 of 8

AThanks so much. I never really thought of adding flavourants! Since we are talking chocolate and I first mentioned that I am new to working with chocolate AND modelling chocolate PLEASE tell me that I CAN make chocolate collars from modelling chocolate instead of using melted chocolate. Reason: I live in an extremely hot environment and most brides choose to have summer weddings but they always request chocolate collar or tiled cakes. Delivery alone can be such a pain and the setting of chocolate can be quite tricky. Even when working working with plastic icing (fondant) it dries exceptionally fast I have to really speed things up. Im thinking if I should use modelling chocolate for making collars instead of melted chocolate, then my life would be easier??? and will I be able to refridgerate the cake after the cake is wrapped? or do I let it stand overnight leaving on the silicone sheets of course, to dry out at röom temperature? advice dearly appreciated

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 8

I;m not sure what you mean by collars but I took a class with a great Korean Cake Artist last year and we made a stand up collar like the ones you see on an oriental silk jacket - out of a combination of fondant and white chocolate - not quite fondant and not quite candy clay but we stood the collar upright to dry or set for a few minutes while we worked on the rest of the cake and it was set up enough to apply at the end of the class.

nosh Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 8

AYes, chocolate collar that I am referring to is the `wall` of chocolate that is wrapped around the circumference of the cake (I think it is sometimes called chocolate bands??) sorry I`m South African, it took me a while to figure out what fondant is lol, gosh! But if you have managed to set up a stand up collar from fondant and chocolate, then the modelling chocolate will work just perfectly. You guys are great, I shouldve joined a cake talk forum a loooöng time ago! by the way, stunning cake in the pic. thank you very much for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%