Edible Image Printers

Baking By catsmum Updated 7 Mar 2014 , 10:54pm by pinchofsweetener

catsmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmum Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 10:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone

I'm looking to by a printer for producing edible images. I have resisted so far as I don't do this type of cake very often and understood the print heads can clog if not used frequently. Previously I have purchased edible images mail order which was fine. However this weekend I am doing a F1 Ferrari car demonstrated on the Paul Bradford website 2 weeks ago. The difficulty is that I don't know the size of the images until I get the cake at least made and carved (Saturday) and by then it will be too late to get the images posted.

So out of desperation I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a printer.  I think Canon is the way to go but would appreciate any advice from fellow decorators in the UK as to model and how they perform.  In the US it seems they are moving to cartridges with no sponges which apparently helps with clogging issues but I don't think these are available here.

Time is running out so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

4 replies
MUDDY828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MUDDY828 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 5

I'm pretty sure you can just buy a regular printer (NEW) You can buy the sugar sheets and the food color ink for printers, check online for the edible ink.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 5

ABefore you buy a printer for edible printing, make sure that the printer brand and model is compatible with the ink/catridge for edible printing. Check the website of where you're going to buy your ink (I have used Kopykake and Icingimages). They have a list of printer models/brands and the ink that goes with it.

sugarbabygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabygirl Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 5

my brother had a spare brand new printer just lying around (hes a marine, they can do that lol) he was using as a stand for his other printer. so i use it for my edible images, its a canon and canon makes edible ink for their printers, you dont need a specialized one. just load the sugar or rice paper in it and press print! :)

pinchofsweetener Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinchofsweetener Posted 7 Mar 2014 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

Before you buy a printer for edible printing, make sure that the printer brand and model is compatible with the ink/catridge for edible printing. Check the website of where you're going to buy your ink (I have used Kopykake and Icingimages). They have a list of printer models/brands and the ink that goes with it.

^This. Don't just assume any printer will work. Use their list of brands/models. I bought the Canon PIXMA MG5320 from walmart for 97 bucks. I love it. I definitely don't use it all the time but it is recommended that you occasionally print to make sure nothing dries out/clogs...etc. Make sure you keep your icing paper sealed well too so it doesn't dry out or it'll turn into a cracked mess inside the printer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%