Help - Terrible Finish On My Sugarpaste

Decorating By Everythingscake Updated 27 Feb 2014 , 7:54am by MBalaska

Everythingscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Everythingscake Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 12:30am
post #1 of 4

AHope someone can offer some advice

Just finished my 4 th attempt to cover a minion (never again ). The finish is terrible. - loads of bits I've had to patch up. I was hoping I could cover most of them with the blue overalls etc but I'm not so sure. Is it possible (or sensible) to take off the sugarpaste tomorrow and start again? Or is it possible to cover the sugarpaste with another layer of the sane colour? I've never had such a massive disaster as this. Not sure I ll get much sleep tonight. Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!

3 replies
jerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerlady Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 12:38am
post #2 of 4

This just happened to me the other day.  I was smoothing fondant and as I was turning the cake  it almost went off the table.  As I caught it I poked a big hole in it.  I placed it in the freezer for about 5 minutes, peeled the fondant off, resmoothed (added more icing) and did it over again.  The freezer helped because I was able to peel off the fondant (and some icing) but preserved the actual cake. Hope this helps and good luck!

Everythingscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Everythingscake Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 7:15am
post #3 of 4

thanks

in the cold light of morning (!), I've looked again and I think it might be recoverable with creative placement of overalls, arms etc!  (fingers crossed).  If I covered it again i'm not sure I'd be able to make a better job of it - covering a tall thin cake is the hardest one I've ever done.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 7:54am
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everythingscake 

".......... covering a tall thin cake is the hardest one I've ever done....."

You are not alone in this issue.  tall & small is difficult for people not doing it a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%