Bad aftertaste

Decorating By krnorwood Updated 28 Feb 2014 , 4:39pm by MimiFix

krnorwood Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

AHello! I do not have a tried and true white cake recipe and am making a wedding cake for my sister-in-law. I tried the America's Test Kitchen recipe and it tasted great, but there was a funny chemical aftertaste. No unusual ingredients. Called for 1 tsp vanilla (I used vanilla bean paste) and 2 tsp almond extract. Maybe too much almond? Thanks for helping!

7 replies
Eachna Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

Funny chemical aftertaste could be too much baking soda or baking powder. 4 teaspoons baking powder is a lot for that recipe. I'd try 2 teaspoons and increase it if you find the cake too flat/dense.

Also, almonds have a much stronger taste than vanilla.

2 tsp almond extract sounds rather intense. Try reversing/switching the amount of vanilla for almond (1 tsp almond extract and 2 of vanilla).

Sammy09 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 8

AI use baking powder without aluminum. Some say they can taste it with the regular kind.

krnorwood Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8

AThank you, Eachna and Sammy09. I'll try those suggestions. I thought 4 tsp of baking powder was a lot, too!

MimiFix Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with Eachna and Sammy09 on both counts. The baking powder is excessive for that amount of flour, and the almond extract is quite powerful. I suggest you try it again and cut both ingredients in half. No offense to America's Test Kitchen, but their recipes and advice are not foolproof.

krnorwood Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 1:04am
post #6 of 8

AThank, MimiFix! I liked the taste of the America's Test Kitchen cake, so I stuck with it. Except for the funny aftertaste. I'm remaking it tonight with your suggestions.

krnorwood Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 8

AI really appreciate all the help! Made the suggested changes and the cake is DELICIOUS! Thank you!

MimiFix Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 8

Another service brought to you by the friendly members at CakeCentral!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%