Diabetic Recipes, Or Cake Ideas???

Baking By crystalpixie Updated 26 Feb 2014 , 2:03pm by craftybanana

crystalpixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalpixie Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 11:48am
post #1 of 4

Hi all i'm new to this forum however I am not new to cake making :-D

I am looking for a recipe for diabetics, I have many which are in my life and pride my work in being able to make the softest cakes imaginable, although I know there are many recipes out there, a lot of them turn out bland are quite frankly more suited for the bin...

If anyone has their own recipes that are well suited for people unable to consume large amounts of sugar that would be much appreciated if you would be happy to share them with me ;-D

Thanks in advance 

3 replies
vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 4

AWith diabetics it isn't so much the sugar as how their bodies process the carbohydrates. I have replaced sugar with a stevia and sugar blend by C&H designed specifically for baking for !my sister who is sugar intolerant CV with great success. Just remember that you use half of this product than what your recipe calls for.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 4

ASorry for the typos my phone isn't my friend this morning

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 4

AIt's not the sugar so much as the total carbs. Here's a quote from another thread that talks about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted 

I am unsure if any of the previous posters are diabetic, but I am. I'd like to offer some education if I may.

The main issue for diabetics is not just sugar. ALL carbohydrates are the problem. That means flour, rice, fresh and canned fruit, fruit juice, milk, crackers, bagels, bread, corn, potatoes, etc etc etc. Going sugar-free is good where you can do it effectively, like using sweetener in iced tea. But baking sugar free is somewhat difficult as sugar free batter won't rise as much or brown well.

My dietitian advised me it is better to have a moderate taste of the real thing occasionally, than to believe you can have more of the "fake" which in the end can cause you more problems. And the fake thing won't taste as good. I personally have decided that if I want to include a serving of real cake (or whatever) into my carb allowance, I will... but I make sure I take away something else like bread or fruit. It's all about portion size and accounting for everything for a diabetic.

There are about 30 grams of carb in 1 serving of plain unfrosted yellow cake. That is 2 carb servings if you count carbs. The carbs are about the same for sugar free. Add frosting and you add another carb serving for each 15 grams. Calling a food sugar free can lull a person into thinking it's also calorie free. The calories are often higher for a sugar free item, and usually where sugar is taken out, something else is added, like fat or sodium. And of course there is the problem of sugar alcohols. A person might eat 3 servings thinking it will be "free", and then suffer belly cramps and worse. Sugar alcohols such as erythritol and maltitol can cause gastric/intestinal disturbances like gas or diarrhea.

I've tried the Pillsbury Sugar Free Cake Mixes and Sugar Free Frostings...not worth it in my opinion. Give me real.

Anyway, my advice is to eat real cake if you want to have cake, but take away an equivalent something else, like servings of potatoes, corn, bread, fruit, beans, whatever. Taste is more important than volume, imo. The easiest way to control portions is with cupcakes.

No offense intended to anyone. Education is awareness of possibilities, and knowledge of the consequences of actions.

That thread was this: http://cakecentral.com/t/709990/diabetic-cupcakes-and-frosting

I have diabetics in my family and this was pretty much spot on :)

Also, if you go here: http://cakecentral.com/t/766891/low-sugar-baking-tips, you'll find a thread about Low Sugar baking tips, some people had some really good ideas, such as soaking raisins in orange juice (or rum if you're of age).

Good luck!

Edit: added links

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%