Vertically Ruffled Buttercream

Decorating By kendra_83 Updated 12 Mar 2014 , 5:40pm by kendra_83

kendra_83 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:16am
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know which tip was used to get this effect?  Is it a petal tip with a separate round tip to make the squiggles next to the ruffle or is there one tip that can do this?  Any help would be appreciated!

11 replies
AZCouture Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:17am
post #2 of 12

Pretty sure it's a standard round tip next to the ruffle.

AZCouture Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:18am
post #3 of 12

You could always ask Erin what she did, maybe she'll see the comment if you ask on her picture.

kendra_83 Posted 26 Feb 2014 , 12:59am
post #4 of 12

Thanks!  I've been creeping her Facebook page and she explained that she used a petal tip for a cake similar to this one but I couldn't figure out the squiggle.  Since the photo on Cake Central was posted back in 2012 I figured it would be a long shot to get a reply.  Guess I'll just experiment and see what happens. :) 

LeanneW Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 12

Wilton has a tip 86 that pipes a ruffle and a border at the same time, but its a star tip, not plain. Maybe you can find one similar with a round tip, now that you know what it looks like. Ateco also makes fancy ruffle tips.



AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 12

AThe squiggle is a round tip 3 or 4.

remnant3333 Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 3:59pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with Annie and AZCouture!! Round tip is for the squiggles and petal tip is for the ruffles.

AZCouture Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 12

ANever seen that tip before, that's pretty cool.

AnnieCahill Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 12

AI have a whole slew of tips like that and I've never used them. I have the old master tip set from like 15 years ago. I seem to go for the same old tips every time. I should experiment more!

MBalaska Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 12

I have that tip (along with a hundred other Wilton tips that rarely get used)  It makes a cute swag on the sides of a cake if you do the up/down wiggle while your swagging it.  For some reason I use it on Chocolate frosted cakes mostly.  I guess I just like lots of chocolate icing.

sugarbabygirl Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 3:16am
post #11 of 12

i cant tell what the sides are, but you can get the look on the top with a petal tip with what i call the folding technique. as you squeeze, pull forward and push back to create a soft "fold" and keep even pressure on it, not stopping or else the icing with break off and 9 times out of ten not fixable unless you're really good with butter cream. (i am not lol)


lots of loves and luck


kendra_83 Posted 12 Mar 2014 , 5:40pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%