Useing Magic Line Baking Pans Help Please!

Decorating By kassy22 Updated 25 Feb 2014 , 7:28pm by vldutoit

kassy22 Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 7

AHi I'm new at baking. I bought all the round pans and all the square pans from magic line. They are 2 inches deep. I bakes a cake that was 8 by 2 and I baked it at 320 with 3 heating cores in the middle. Ok so when I took it out the cake was very oily and very dry in the middle I used 2 cake box mixes. What do you think it might be? Please help! I want it to be nice and moist and soft. But it came out all dry. I also used baking strips outside. The other problem was that even though I baked it really low it was still overdone on top it was just a horable cake. Any suggestions? Do the magic line pans have a special recipe for cakes they use?

6 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

The Magic Line pans are awesome.  Why did you use three heating cores for an 8" cake?  I don't use heating cores even in 12" pans. 

You mentioned you used two box mixes.  Were they doctored mixes (adding sour cream and other ingredients not called for on the box), or did you just mix them according to the package directions? 

I use the baking strips and sometimes I bake at 325, but most of the time at 350.  How long did you leave the cake in the oven?

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

You should also invest in an oven thermometer to make sure it's baking at the right temperature.

kassy22 Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 7

AI bakes 2 cakes and every time I would take them out it was never done cooking right in the middle. But the top of it was over baking almost burning . So I thought the nails would help but even then it would still over cook in top. It was way to greasy and dry. I would use the pillsbury cake mix.

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

Check the oven temperature and bake the cake again, but this time use only the baking strips and no heating cores and see how it works.

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

Also if you're using two cake mixes and fill the pans all the way up to the top, that is too much.  If you're doing two mixes you should have plenty left over for cupcakes.  Fill them 3/4 full and bake them at 350 with the strips.

vldutoit Posted 25 Feb 2014 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 7

AI suspect your cakes are not getting done without the heating core because your pans are overfilled. I could not tell from your op if this cake was squares or rounds but one mix should be sufficient for two 8 inch rounds 2 inches high. I never use heating cores for 8 inch cakes. Three cores seem like overkill to me and I think that is why it is so dry. If you feel better by using a core, try using only one and less batter to see if it turns out better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%