Customer Slamming Me On Facebook

Decorating By phoebe kay Updated 26 Feb 2014 , 6:55am by brendajarmusz

phoebe kay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 3:51am
post #1 of 158

AI messed up a cake. I agree it wasn't my best work. I didn't allow enough time. It was 30 minutes. But instead of this person complaining to me, they go on Facebook and threaten me and say the most horrible things about me imaginable. I apologized again and told her I would deactivate my account. I did. I feel so horrible about messing things up. This has never happened to me. I'm usually very good. But I can never get the words that the cake looks like a child did it and I ruined their once in a lifetime event. Her pregnant daughter was heartbroken. I will never, NEVER do another cake. Don't know to get past this.

157 replies
cmiletto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmiletto Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:43am
post #2 of 158

ADon't quit because you messed up one cake; everyone messes up at least once. Learn from your mistakes(never rush art; cake art is a process, a process that is expected to take hours). I've sold over 300 custom cakes, and 3,000 cupcakes in the last two and a half years. Not every cake can be a winner; sometimes we fail at the task at hand; we are human. This business is cut throat; we work for clients that are paying for custom, which leads them to believe that they have the upper hand, and they do. My advice: do not deactivate your FB, simply delete her. You lost a customer; maybe two. Now, you must figure out a way to account for the loss of business. Find yourself a customer who has a good following, a good amount of friends. Make this person the best cake you've ever made. I'd advise you to undercharge a bit if the Facebook client ruined your rep. Everyone loves a discount. Also, try to find a way to satisfy the disgruntled customer; possibly a free cake in the future. She probably will not accept your offer, but that's ok it's her loss. Do not quit because of one momzilla!! This is one of the most stressful professions; especially in the art industry. But, for me, it is the most rewarding.

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 4:52am
post #3 of 158

AThanks for the advice. I'm so embarrassed though. I did 17 cake orders Saturday. Every customer said it was wonderful. This person said they couldn't even eat the cake. Could I have made that big of a mistake? Or was the other customers just being nice?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 6:07am
post #4 of 158

ADo you have pictures?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 6:09am
post #5 of 158

AAnd 17 cake orders? Do you have a shop? That's crazy if you are a one-woman show. Don't sacrifice quality for quantity. And don't lower your prices!

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 9:56am
post #6 of 158

AI have pics of most of the cakes I did Saturday. It's just me doing the baking and decorating. I'm in the process of getting a shop. My husband delivers the cakes now because we don't have a storefront. [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3191652/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:14am
post #20 of 158

AI have no idea why it posted my pics individually instead of as a group. Sorry.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:24am
post #21 of 158

ASo, which one was hers?

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:31am
post #22 of 158

AI deleted the pic of it. I started crying like a baby and started deleting everything. I had over 200 pics of cakes and other baked products that I've done in the past few months but I've been deleting everything. These was what was left from the orders I did this weekend.

Godot Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:39am
post #23 of 158

AWow, what an overreaction!

You can't make eveyone happy. People often have expectations over their budget.

Get over it and move on. If you're putting yourself out there as a business (and, since you are selling product you ARE a business) you need to learn to act like one.

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:44am
post #24 of 158

ASo I overreacted? I need to learn to act like one? What do you suggest?

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 10:46am
post #25 of 158

ANot trying to sound harsh. This customer said I should be beaten for messing up her cake. How would you handle the customer?

Godot Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 11:02am
post #26 of 158

AYou are taking this way too personally. Step back and get some perspective. It's only cake.

Since you have no photograph of said cake, it is hard to determine whether or not you should be beaten.

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 11:14am
post #27 of 158

AYeah I'm kinda thinking that I need to get a grip. It is only a cake. I do take it too personal though. I guess I just need to learn what I can from it and let it go. This customer owns a bar and had this party at a bar. She probably was drinking when she posted her love more to me anyway. godot, you come off a bit harsh but you get right to the point. I like that. You don't try and sugar coat things. Thanks

MyFairDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFairDiva Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:09pm
post #28 of 158

AFrom the group of photos you posted, you seem very talented Phoebe, you know better than to take 30 minutes per cake. If it looked like the ones you've posted, and you've achieved the skill to be so quick, then I don't know what could be wrong with said cake... but if you admittedly messed up, maybe you should have excused yourself and not given her the promised cake, or not charged, or given her something different but super good; I haven't been in your shoes yet to know how I would have acted :(

If it was such a "once in a lifetime" event perhaps she spent all her money and wanted some back from the easiest person to attack, how many cases have we read about on "Things not to say to a baker". She was a bit of a brat to do that to you on your Facebook page for everyone and their dog to see, instead of addressing you personally. It's like shi**ing through a fan...! But then again, that's what social networking is about, it can make you or break you.

Well do not let it break you. Do NOT go cheaper, Do NOT delete your Facebook account, just delete what she posted if possible, YOU know what you're worth. Once you "regroup your troops" make a Special Event for your customers in which they can chose what to get, say, a special cupcake sale, or a cake for two event, that they get to chose among a small number of options you give them. It could lead to more potential sales and word-of-mouth. And lastly, do not bite more than you can chew.

I wish I could give you a Hug. You will be fine. Just take this experience as a big lesson and learn from it.

phoebe kay Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:22pm
post #29 of 158

AThank you MyFairDiva. I actually followed everyone's advice here and just deleted and blocked her. It wasn't that bad of a cake. I baked the cakes the day before so I know they was fresh. Perspective...I need to have one if I'm going to b in business. I contacted her after reading her posts and apologized, offered a refund..nothing. She didn't want to talk to me like an adult. I understand being mad. Cuss me on the phone but talk to me! To ignore me, someone that's trying to apologize and fix the problem, and choose to put me down as a person shows lack of character. My cake shows a very bad day. This was a lesson learned. Allow a bit more time for the more difficult cakes. I love doing what I do. I can spend all night doing these cakes but I shouldn't underestimate my time and allow for interruptions and other distractions. Thanks everyone for the kick in the butt that I needed.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 1:25pm
post #30 of 158

And STOP deleting your pics and delete her, you apologized what more can you do. Don't beat yourself up about it, take this a as a learning experience. If she wants to be a witch about it tell her to KICK ROCKS!

Sending you a big (((((((HUG))))))))

edited because I was typing to slow (need more coffee). I see you posted already. Feel better phoebe kay and keep your chin up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%