Best Recipe For A Cake Under Fondant

Baking By mariska smith Updated 23 Feb 2014 , 3:18pm by mariska smith

mariska smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariska smith Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 4

AHi all i am struggeling to bake i notmally bake a butter cake and then cover with fondNt but sometimes the cake itself is not so smooth even when putting chocolate ganache or buttercream. I struggle to get the cake as perfect as you guys do and so smooth.... I live in south africa and the people I know here aint that helpfull.... Is there someone that can maybe help me step by step what to do.... Like do you put the cake in the fridge before you put the ganache on or after or not at all and the same with buttericing? And how do you crumb coat and when do you need to crumb coat

Regards Mariska

3 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 4

Your under-layer (buttercream or ganache) needs to be smooth (google "upside down method cake" or something like that)..it works WONDERS and I use it with buttercream and freeze for about 2 hrs before removing the cake board.

Make sure the buttercream/ganache is hard (from fridge or still from freezer if covering right after removing the boards).  Do let it sit out for a few minutes until you notice a little condensation on the cake.  This will help your fondant stick a little as you are smoothing it on and that will help reduce air bubbles.

Hope that helps!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

And butter cake should be fine...do you have a pic of what you are experiencing?

mariska smith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariska smith Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 4

AThanx i have to bake on thursday can i send you then.... Thank you so much for your help i really do appreciate it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%