Pricing A Fondant Cake

Business By AddieCakes Updated 3 Mar 2014 , 3:58pm by TheItalianBaker

AddieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AddieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 6:30am
post #1 of 25

AHi everyone, I'm having some trouble deciding on how I want to price a cake. I recently started sharing photos of what I bake on my facebook and suddenly I have people ordering cakes from me for holidays, birthdays, baby showers etc. My mom passed away a year ago and it was then that i began baking often..it has been my way to coupe with my loss. I never knew I loved it this much til now. Anyway, all my cakes are homemade from scratch and decorated with fondant..also homemade. How much should I charge for a two tier fondant cake for 60 ppl? Taking into consideration that I am a beginner.Here is a photo of what is being requested.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3190235/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

24 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 7:46am
post #2 of 25

AIf you don't have permission from Disney to make this cake then you, legally, cannot sell it.

You need to get (among other things) a solid pricing structure in place before you go into business.

How much were you thinking of selling a similar cake for?

AddieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 8:14am
post #3 of 25

AOh yes I am aware that I can not llegally sell it without permission. The colors of the cake and the structure is what is being requested. I was thinking of selling it for $75. Too cheap or too much?

Godot Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 25

A.........mmmm.

You really do need to do your OWN homework and learn how to do your costing out properly.

How can I tell you what to charge? Please - I don't know your costs! You might be using crap ingredients like mixes and Criscocream icing.

My skills are in a different category than yours, so that also needs to be taken into consideration.

Crystal72384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal72384 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 25

A

Original message sent by Godot

.........mmmm.

You really do need to do your OWN homework and learn how to do your costing out properly.

How can I tell you what to charge? Please - I don't know your costs! You might be using crap ingredients like mixes and Criscocream icing.

My skills are in a different category than yours, so that also needs to be taken into consideration.

Wow that was a little snarky...

AddieCakes Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 25

AThat did come off a little harsh but its ok. I am not easily offended. In your previous post you asked what price I was thinking of so I assumed you could five me some pointers.

.........mmmm.

That did come off a little harsh but its ok. I am not easily offended. In your previous post you asked what price I was thinking of so I assumed you could five me some pointers.

If you don't have permission from Disney to make this cake then you, legally, cannot sell it.

You need to get (among other things) a solid pricing structure in place before you go into business.

How much were you thinking of selling a similar cake for?

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 25

That cake does not serve 60 people.  For aesthetic purpose (aside from not doing disney), I would go to a three-tier.

This one would maybe do 40ish...don't have my chart in front of my.  6" and 10"

And the cost issue is a hot-button topic on here...since you just joined yesterday, all is forgiven.  LOL

Put "pricing out a cake" in the search bar and you will find a plethora of info!

Good luck and welcome to CC!

Godot Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 25

A

Original message sent by Crystal72384

Wow that was a little snarky...

Yeah, I know.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 2:09am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieCakes 

Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble deciding on how I want to price a cake. 

Learning to price cakes, let me Google that for you.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 4:16am
post #11 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Learning to price cakes, let me Google that for you.

This is great!  This should be the standard answer for anyone asking a pricing question!

anitac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anitac Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 25

AWow, some people are just rude. Why are they answering questions if they are annoyed by them? Anyway, as you can tell, pricing is the absolute hardest part of cakes! I am overwhelmed by pricing out the cost of ingredients for one cake so here is what I do; i researched bakeries on line and in my area and i try to have similar prices. With custom, carved cakes,etc.it is much more difficult. So i basically charge 1.75 per slice for a Buttercream cake and 2.25 a slice for a fondant cake. I add an extra charge for more complicated decorating and ingredients such as cream cheese frosting. With cakes for large amounts of people such as 75 or so i always feel bad charging so much, but really I think they are getting a deal. I live in a small town so must people don't want to pay too much.

Angel123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel123 Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 25

~~Since the cake ingredient costs are minimal, time and design variations are the most costly factors in determining the final price of your cake. Request a Quote Today Price Chart This price chart shows prices for round and sheet cakes. Included in the price is the cake flavor and filling of your choice, as well as basic* decoration. Our Wedding Cake Formula starts with a base price per serving and increases with each added option. Sizes Servings** Icing Fondant 6" Round 12 $36 $48 8" Round 18 $54 $72 9" Round 24 $72 $96 10" Round 26 $78 $104 12" Round 32 $96 $128 14" Round 40 $120 $160 6" Square 9 $27 $36 8" Square 16 $48 $64 10" Square 25 $75 $100 12" Square 36 $108 $144 14" Square 49 $147 $196 9" x 13" Sheet 45 $135 $180 11" x 15" Sheet 60 $180 $240 12" x 18" Sheet 72 $216 $288

~~Cake Pricing Guidelines Serving Barrie, Innisfil & Surrounding Area Flavours Currently Available: Chocolate, French Vanilla, Golden Yellow, White, Butter Pecan, Cherry Chip, Lemon 6" 2 layer Round - iced & decorated in Buttercream $50 6" 2 layer Round - iced & decorated in Fondant $55 8" 2-layer Round/Square - iced & decorated in Buttercream $60 8" 2-layer Round/Square - iced & decorated in Fondant $65 10" 2-layer Round/Square - iced & decorated in Buttercream $70 10" 2-layer Round/Square - iced & decorated in Fondant $75 Quarter Sheet Slab (serves 45-50) price quoted at time of request Half Sheet Slab (serves 75-80) price quoted at time of request Full Sheet Slab price quoted at time of request Character Cakes - single layer, iced in Buttercream (specially shaped pan eg. Spiderman, butterfly, star) min. $50 (price will vary by size & detail) Custom Shaped Cakes (eg. guitar, purse, 3D animal) price quoted at time of request Tiered Cakes (eg. Wedding, Anniversary, Shower) price quoted at time of request $3 - $5 per slice Cupcakes (1 dozen) - simply iced to match/accompany a cake order add an additional $15 to cake price Cupcakes (1 dozen) with Buttercream $18 Cupcakes (1 dozen) with Fondant price quoted at time of request 4" round 'Smash Cake' with Buttercream - added to cake order $5 4" round 'Smash Cake' with Fondant - added to cake order $8

Godot Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 6:14am
post #14 of 25

AWhat?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 1 Mar 2014 , 10:32pm
post #15 of 25

I really like punctuation.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 1:27am
post #16 of 25

……………(……(……(……(…………….
……………() — () — () — () …………….
…………… || -— || — || — ||…………….
..………....{*~*~*~*~*~*~*}..….………...

……...…@@@@@@@@@………......
…….....{ ~*~*~*~****~*~*~*~ } ……......
….....@@@@@@@@@@@@.…......
…....{*~*~*~* H A P P Y *~*~*~*}….....
…...{*~*~ * B I R T H D A Y * ~*~*}…...
.…..{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*}…...
.…@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@.....
………………..)———(….……………….
…………____ ,———–, ___.................
…… … /_________________\ ... ……….

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 2:12am
post #17 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

I really like punctuation.

Hehehehe......

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 25

So my husband just explained "Let Me Google That For You" to me!  Brilliant!  So much easier that copy/pasting a whole bunch of URLs into a post!

Linda

enga Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 6:56pm
post #19 of 25

Then I guess that settles it, no need for people to even answer threads anymore or even come on CC. Why, when they can just "goggle it" for themselves.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 8:59pm
post #20 of 25

Actually..... GoOgle  works so much better than Goggle.....   maybe that is the problem people have

OH... and YES I know that was snarky!

Go on ... stone me!!  

I am the resilient generation ....   AND proud of it !!  :wink:

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Then I guess that settles it, no need for people to even answer threads anymore or even come on CC. Why, when they can just "goggle it" for themselves.

Since it is not possible to tell someone what they should charge for a cake, what is wrong with teaching them how to figure it out? Some people don't know how to use Google to search a certain site.

AddieCakes, were you offended by the "Let me Google That For You" post?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 9:31pm
post #22 of 25

AAhh the hot topic of pricing a cake, it just seems to usually bring on disagreements.....

enga Posted 2 Mar 2014 , 11:59pm
post #23 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Actually..... GoOgle  works so much better than Goggle.....   maybe that is the problem people have

OH... and YES I know that was snarky!

Go on ... stone me!!  

I am the resilient generation ....   AND proud of it !!  :wink:

Thank you spellcheck police, get some one else to stone you.

enga Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 12:06am
post #24 of 25

Ahhhh, so that's how this site is run, let them figure it our for themselves. I don't know what some of you would do with yourselves if no one asked the pricing question. Gives you a great reason to be snarky huh.

Well I'm not into to S&M, so I'll leave you to your snarkiness,lol. Go ahead, pop that whip!

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 3:58pm
post #25 of 25

Assuming that cake can serve 60 ppl (which i dont think it is possibile), and you could reproduce it without breaking the law, I would charge 4.5 for serving, plus the bow and the ears.. so around $290.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%