Bulges Always Show! Help?!?!

Decorating By kitchenchick Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 3:46pm by AZCouture

kitchenchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitchenchick Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:38am
post #1 of 11

AIt happened AGAIN. No matter what I seem to do, the BC frosting from between cake layers bulges out and makes my finished cake look bumpy. I've tried making a stiffer BC, letting the cakes settle, crumbcoating then final coating of BC or cover with fondant, it doesn't seem to matter. Ganache is sometimes cost prohibitive, or the person I'm making the cake for doesn't want fondant. Any advice would be great....

10 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:51am
post #2 of 11

no budges are apparent in your layer cake photos..............

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:51am
post #3 of 11

ASharon Zambito has a DVD about her technique on her website. Her cakes look flawless.

kitchenchick Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:55am
post #4 of 11

AHere's one I'm working on tonight. This 'ring around the cake' drives me crazy! [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3190212/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

kitchenchick Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:55am
post #5 of 11

A

Original message sent by Sammy09

Sharon Zambito has a DVD about her technique on her website. Her cakes look flawless.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

judyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyz Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:11am
post #6 of 11

Sharon Zambito's trick to avoiding the bulge:

Mix enough buttercream frosting with extra powdered sugar to make it good and thick. Using a coupler or large plain tip, make a bank of frosting on the layer to act as a "dam" to keep the frosting or filling in. Put softer buttercream in middle and place top layer on cake. Guaranteed it will NOT bulge!!

Hope this helps you. I would encourage you to purchase Sharon's DVDs. Her techniques are easily replicated and she does her steps in very easy to follow sequences. My frosting techniques have improved 110% after following her instructions.

Thanks,

JudyZ

Colorado

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:28am
post #7 of 11

ADo you weight it during settling? Do you let it settle at room temp?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:46am
post #8 of 11

AWhat kind of icing and filling do you use? And how thick is your fondant? Does that happen with plain buttercream cakes too?

kitchenchick Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 11

A

Original message sent by leah_s

Do you weight it during settling? Do you let it settle at room temp?

I've tried letting cakes settle both overnight and for a few hours with a book or tile on top.

kitchenchick Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 11

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

What kind of icing and filling do you use? And how thick is your fondant? Does that happen with plain buttercream cakes too?

I use buttercream. I've tried both all butter BC, and a half Crisco, half butter frosting. Fondant is 1/8- 1/4". Yes it happens with BC frosted cakes too.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 11

ASo it's not necessarily a fondant issue. I don't know then. All I can offer is try a meringue bc. I can say that I never ever have bulges or bumpy work with it. Ever. There's no weighing down the tiers, waiting for settling, none of that with meringues. I fill, and ice right away, and it waits in the fridge for me to put fondant on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%