Oh, Crabapple.

Decorating By SweetCarolines Updated 21 Feb 2014 , 8:52pm by SweetCarolines

SweetCarolines Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 5

I made a cake for a friend's little girl. Friend confirmed the date: February 21st. Today is February 21st.

In our world. Apparently in her world, today is February 20th. 

So the cake is actually due tomorrow. The cakes were baked on Wednesday; torted, filled, and covered in fondant last night (Thursday). It stayed all night in a room with the air conditioner cranked up. The plan was to deliver it today, but that's no longer happening. 

My concern is that the filling is Boston cream and it contains whipping cream and milk. I'm really worried that the milk or the cream might go bad. Should I just put it in the fridge? It's already covered in fondant, but the fondant is white with no paintings on it (only white fondant shaped like icicles to make it look wintery). It's Puerto Rico, so I know that if I refrigerate the cake it's gonna start to sweat as soon as I take it out, but the plan is to do that first thing in the morning and bring it into a room with an air conditioner to keep the sweating to a minimum. 

So should I just go ahead and refrigerate? I'm so nervous about this cream sitting out. I really don't wanna make someone sick. I feel like this is such a stupid question and the answer is obvious, but I can't think straight right now. 

Thanks, everyone.

4 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 5

If the air is on you should be fine to fridge it and then bring it to room temperature.  It might sweat but just don't touch it.  You could even put a fan on it to dry it off.

SweetCarolines Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 5

Yeah, that's what my instincts are telling me. I feel silly; I've read so many threads about this but then it happens to you and suddenly you're at a loss.

Thank you so much! Into the fridge it goes :)

betija Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 5

Don't worry ! Put the cake in the fridge.

I have found that putting a bowl of salt helps to avoid sweating. It will absorb the moisture that may stay on the fondant! :)

SweetCarolines Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 5

Oh wow, interesting! You mean a bowl of salt in the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%