Yellow Vs Vanilla

Baking By MartieG Updated 21 Feb 2014 , 8:49pm by MartieG

MartieG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MartieG Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

Sorry about the multiple posts today. I'm new here and Google just isn't answering my question today.

What the heck is the difference between Yellow Cake and Vanilla Cake?  I have a request for yellow and I always bake from scratch so I'm just stumped here because even the "yellow cake" recipes add in vanilla!  Do I simply omit the vanilla in my existing recipe and - Voila! - I suddenly have a yellow cake???

LOL - Thanks!

Martie

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 9

Yellow is a color, vanilla is a flavor.  :)

Ok, now for the real answer.  Most people associate "yellow" cake with the boxed mix that is very yellow and has that distinctive artificial taste.  In scratch recipes, yellow cakes have a higher amount of egg yolks which give it that yellow-ish color.  However, you're right that both are still flavored with vanilla. 

At the end of the day, yellow cakes get their color from egg yolks, where white cakes don't have the yolks (which makes them white or slightly off-white if butter is used).  Both are flavored with vanilla though.  So technically, you could have a yellow vanilla or a white vanilla. 

MartieG Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you, ma'am.

I was pretty much finding the same answers on the web, so reaffirmation of that line of thought helps ease my mind.

Just to be on the safe side though, I've popped off an email to my client to get further clarification of what "yellow cake" means to her as she specifically said that her husband and son do not like "vanilla cake." Nothing like a bad review to kill my blooming business. =)

Happy Friday!

Martie

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 9

I'd say your client needs a taste bud alignment or just bake her a yellow box mix, as I suspect that's what she's talking about.  Some people are really specific about wanting the box mix taste, and with all the artificial chemicals used, it's really hard to replicate that in a scratch form.

MartieG Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 9

Aside from I'm a bit of a cake snob now that I've started doing the whole scratch thing, but will a box cake hold up under the weight of fondant???  That's enough to give me panic attacks!!! LOL

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, it will be fine. 

MartieG Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks again!  :-D

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

"............. So technically, you could have a yellow vanilla or a white vanilla. 

that thought has occurred to me a few times  LOL.

MartieG Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 9

Good news!!!

Client associated "vanilla" with white cake so MY "vanilla cake" which is yellow is what she actually wants.

Whew!!!  I think I need a cocktail after that one.

Waiter..........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%