Do You Tell Anyone Your Recipes And/or If You Use Cake Mixes?

Business By AntiqueLace Updated 27 Feb 2014 , 8:19am by MBalaska

AntiqueLace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AntiqueLace Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 7

Customers or friends & family? 

6 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 7

Only my mom, who lives in another state.

My recipes aren't technically my own (I have adjusted some here and there, others I use straight up), but I am not willing to tell people what I use.

I bake from scratch and I do tell everyone that.  If I used mixes, I would only divulge if a customer asked. 

Sweetnkind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetnkind Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 12:19am
post #3 of 7

Because of our cottage laws in FL I am legally required to put ingredient labels on every packaged product I sell. Aside from that, the only thing I divulge to my clients is that all my products are made from scratch including dough, icings, and most decorations.  

People frequently ask me how I achieve a certain effect on a cookie or cake pop and I am happy to tell them how I do it. I figure if they think they can do the same thing I do, they can go ahead and try. Gawd knows it took me a loonggg time to perfect my skills and they'll find out soon enough it's not as easy as I make it look! :) 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 6:36am
post #4 of 7

AIn the uk ingredients have to be divulged to sell to the public because of allergies religious specs etc. The higher end bakers usually use organic produce and are proud to showcase luxury ingredients.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 6:42am
post #5 of 7

AI have been known to share a recipe with good clients. I've given elements of my recipes to other bakers..typically just giving the recipe doesn't make a difference. It still takes accurate timing. The only thing I will not do is give my icing recipe.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 6:55am
post #6 of 7

Absolutely not. At least not recipes.

I tell people that I bake from scratch, and will provide a list of ingredients if asked, but never my recipes.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Feb 2014 , 8:19am
post #7 of 7

Do you tell anyone your recipes?

NO....with the exception of the Butter Pound Cake recipe that I altered from the old Betty Crocker cook book and have shared with Cake Central bakers in this forum. 

and/or if you use cake mixes?

YES... If I use a cake mix I  say so, and am constantly asked how I get the taste and texture so much better than they can at home.  I have a better mixer, tools, use additional quality extracts, bake correctly, have proper pans, cooling racks, more practice, don't overbake, and actually have an interest in the science of baking and explaining even one single of these  points to anyone is like talking to a brick wall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%