How Much Fondant For A Shaped Cake?

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 12:21am by Mom2ANC

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 5:12am
post #1 of 4

I have looked at all the charts I have found and I cannot figure out how much fondant I need for a shaped cake.

The cake will have three 8-inch rounds stacked and a dome top that is the wilton soccer ball pan. (I am making a minion.) To clarify, it will not be tiered, but all layered together like a minion or an R2D2 cake.

I am making MMF with the recipe that has a one pound bag of marshmallows and 2 lbs of sugar. I am planning to make two batches, but I was wondering how much I needed to make of the base color that actually covers the cake. The accents and details I am not worried about.

Thanks!

3 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 4

AWhen I have an unusual shape, I measure the area I will need to roll.

For example, if I stack 2 - 4 layer 8" cakes, I know I well need to roll 24". I know this because I add the height of the sides (4" + 4" = 8" one side) x 2 sides = 16" Then I add the width 8" circumference. An easier way (and what I usually do) is break out the tape measure.

I then compare my 24" to my fondarific size chart. A 4" tall 16" cake is also 24". The chart does list how muh fondant for a 16" cake. Woohoo! I now know how much I need.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

Did that work?  Did you understand what I was trying to explain?

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 12:21am
post #4 of 4

yes, that made sense.

Thanks so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%