Tt Carving

Decorating By davea Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 4:33pm by yortma

davea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davea Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 2:56am
post #1 of 3

AHello I've done topsy turvys before, but have a question. I'm looking to do one where the filling needs a dam. I've always filled before and then carved, but can't do that now since the dam would be lost. I would think I could just stack them dry, carve, and then seperate to do the dams and filling. Does that sound workable? Thanks Dave

2 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 3:41am
post #2 of 3

AThe general recommendation is to NOT fill a TT--just stick layers together with BC. Besides not being able to carve it due to the damming necessary, fillings also create a more unstable cake.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 3

Quote:

would think I could just stack them dry, carve, and then seperate to do the dams and filling. Does that sound workable?
Thanks

I have done that several time with topsy turvy cakes with no problems.  I did exactly what you described - stacked and carved without filling, then separated , dammed and filled.  I did use thick lemon curd, and thick raspberry or chunky strawberry fillings (in thin layers) that were less likely to ooze, and made a sturdy dam material - thick ganache or stiff buttercream, depending on what blended with the final covering.  Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%