How To Make Cake Layers Appear Separate?

Decorating By louglou Updated 20 Feb 2014 , 2:55pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 8

I'm finally making my laptop cake for my brother in law. I had intended to make it look like the silver laptop was sitting on a black desk, but a miscalculation has meant that the cake is not big enough to make this work.

So instead I am going to have a single tier cake made of 2 layers, the top layer will be covered in grey fondant painted silver and the bottom one will be a covered with a black fondant band.

I'd still like to make it look like the laptop is separate from the desk, so I want the silver fondant will curve into the cake and the black one will curve out.

Like this:

Rather than this:

Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for replying AnnieCahill, but that link didn't help me. I'm looking for help on making the cake layers appear separate (as if they were separate tiers) rather than having a smooth cake.  

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry, I kind of blew through your post.  Is there a reason you can't cover each cake separately and do it that way? 

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 8

What you could do is build up the buttercream on the sides, then either freeze it or refrigerate it so it's rock hard.  Then start carving through your buttercream to create the shape you want on the sides.  Then you should only need to cut strips of fondant to cover those areas.  That's the best I can come up with.

louglou Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 8

AThanks. I never considered carving bc. Mine is always so soft.

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 1:42am
post #7 of 8

AYep mine is too but when it's refrigerated it's rock hard. My recipe uses all butter.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 20 Feb 2014 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 8

I think your best bet would probably be to the carve the cake itself into that shape. You will need to make it a pretty dramatic indentation in order for the shape to show through the buttrcream and fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%