What Is The Easiest Way To Make Fondant Lace

Decorating By zinger60 Updated 16 Mar 2014 , 12:36pm by howboutbake

zinger60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zinger60 Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

I just received a wedding order for August and the theme is going to be Victorian.  I have to make 30 centerpiece cakes (6").  What is the best and easiest way to make fondant lace for the cakes.  I need to come up with about 8 different cake designs since they do not want them all to look the same.  Any suggestions on the best place to buy lace molds or cutters and what is the best kind to get.

5 replies
Cake-sprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-sprite Posted 15 Mar 2014 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 6

Hiya,

The easiest way I have made lace is with piped royal icing. It looks like this:

If you're not confident doing it freehand you can let the sugar paste settle overnight and trace a pattern on.

You can also do layers of icing, and cut out pieces of the top layer and pipe around to give a more 3d lace effect like this:

If you want free standing lace you could pipe on to parchment paper and let it dry.

I once made 25 celtic band and floral embroidery centre piece cakes with one larger top tier.  It took WAY longer than I'd anticipated, but they looked great:

I hope this helps.

:-D

CakeCraftCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraftCity Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

ABest place for lace mats is www.cakecraftcity.com

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 12:16am
post #4 of 6

Questio for CakeCraftCity......how long does it take to get from the UK and how bad are shipping fees?

CakeCraftCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCraftCity Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 9:10am
post #5 of 6

AShipping fees are £3.80 approx $6. That is a flat shipping fee so the same cost if you order just the one or 100 items. Shipping time is approx 5-10 working days (recently orders to the US have been around 3-6 days).

howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 6

If you are really wanting to stick to the victorian theme, royal icing would be the most appropriate to the time period.

However, I am not Eddie Spence and I think I would expire before finishing 30 piped RI cakes!!

I'd look into Cake Lace or Sugar Dress. It seems to be the most popular these days.  I recently some excellent prices on lace molds from Ebay, but that is always a gamble, and they can take a while to arrive. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%