How Do I Make This Design?

Decorating By auvilpartyof6 Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 8:45pm by sugarflorist

auvilpartyof6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auvilpartyof6 Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 7:38am
post #1 of 12

AI have a couple that wants this design across the front of their cakes for their wedding. Minus the word "girl" in the design. They are extremely low budget. What would be the best way to do this. They'd prefer a flat design out of butter cream or I suggested maybe fondant pieces. Would this be the way to go? Suggestions please! [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3188376/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3188377/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

11 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 9:15am
post #2 of 12

AI'd go for cutting it out of acetate to make a stencil and then skimming royal or BC over.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 12

I'd buy a hibiscus cutter and then put a cross in the centre...

http://shop.cakesbyximena.com/product.sc?productId=134

Suzanne x

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 12

If they want buttercream, you can easily do that in a frozen buttercream transfer.

auvilpartyof6 Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 4:31am
post #5 of 12

AThank you everyone for your replies. I will try each of them.. This couple is really on a budget so I'm trying my best to keep their cost down, yet still make it easier on myself to make the design that they want. Tell me your opinions on this.... They want a 6" & 9" rounds stacked w/ the top tier covered in a chocolate brown cream cheese frosting and the bottom tier frosted w/cream cheese frosting in ivory color. They want the above design on the front of both cakes? Don't you think that'll be a bit much? Wouldn't it look better to have the design on the lower tier and then maybe their monogram or something like that on the top tier.? . They also want that design on the cupcakes and all of it placed on the the towering tiers stand w/yellow roses placed between the cupcakes. I don't think this will all go together. What are your thoughts?

Relznik Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 9:19am
post #6 of 12

My PERSONAL preference is for a darker colour to be on the bottom tier.  But that's just me...  perhaps years of dressing with darker colours on my lower half to disguise big hips and bottom, LOLOL!!!!!!

I understand they have a limited budget, and that buying a cutter would incur cost for you.  BUT if it' going to save hours cutting shapes with an exacto knife around a printed template, I think that's the way I'd go.

I agree that for a fairly small cake it might be a bit much to have that pattern going all the way around both tiers and that perhaps stick to having it on the bottom tier with a monogram on the top tier.

If you are going to buy a cutter, then I suspect it will be too big for cupcakes!!  Sometimes we have to tell our customers that what they have in mind just isn't possible (whether it be for budget constrains or other reasons).  Tell them that if you buy a cutter for their main cake, it's going to be way too big for cupcakes and they will need to choose something else....  perhaps some with just the cross and some with their initials?

If they're prepared to pay for additional equipment, then it's something you can do...

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 10:00am
post #7 of 12

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik 

I understand they have a limited budget, and that buying a cutter would incur cost for you.  BUT if it' going to save hours cutting shapes with an exacto knife around a printed template, I think that's the way I'd go.

Good point! cutting out a template would take ages and you always slip on the last cut... maybe look at a set of 3 cutters so you have a small version for the cupcakes?

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 10:11am
post #8 of 12

AI agree with the stencil idea. I have had a lot of experience with cutting stencils (paper crafting) if I were cutting this one I would do it in several bits you may be able to find it on Google too I would do two searches " hibiscus" and "swirls and scrolls" this will enable you to size it

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 12

I think it will look fine, you just have to use a contrasting color for each of the cakes.  So brown design on the white cake, and white design on the brown cake.  I agree with Relznik about the darker color on the bottom tier. 

How many cupcakes are you doing?  I would not get involved in hand-cutting all those toppers for cupcakes.  I'd buy a small hibiscus or cross cutter and just make small versions of what's on the cake.  I'm all about hand-cutting because I do it for most of my cakes, but for cupcakes, no.  Just no.

auvilpartyof6 Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 12

AThank you so much for all of your suggestions. I will look at finding some cutters and see if I can convince them to change their design a bit. Is there a site/store that you'd suggest that's more affordable for cutters?

Relznik Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:41pm
post #11 of 12

I'm in the UK, so can't really help with recommending sites, I'm afraid.  But I look forward to seeing the cake and cupcakes! :)

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 12

AWhy don't you cut templates lay then on the fondant and cut around them. You can size and print them using a computer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%