Fondant Amount Needed

Decorating By klondikecakes Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 12:56pm by DeliciousDesserts

klondikecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klondikecakes Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 5

AI am doing 2 large cakes this weekend ( one for 300 pple, and the other for 250 pple). I have a question regarding fondant amounts needed to cover cakes, I have looked at many charts... Wilton, GSA, here, etc and all the amounts seem to be the same for the cake size, but I am wo dering what thickness these amounts are based on, I think it is based on 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and to me that seems terribly thick, I tend to roll my fondant no thicker than 1/8". So if these online charts are based on the 1/4" to 3/8" would it be safe to assume I could halve the amounts suggested on the charts? I want to make sure I have enough mmf made before I start covering and stacking. Thanks

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 5

AI like to have extra, because it is easier to cover if you use a bigger piece than what you need. I roll mine silly thin, but plan on 3/4 of what the charts say.

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 5

I would rather err on the side of having too much fondant over too little.  Especially if you have to add color.  It can be impossible to get them to match if you have to make more.  I've learned many a lesson from trying to make just enough to save.  I also agree on the 3/4 estimate.  Good luck!

klondikecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klondikecakes Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 5

AThanks. I also like to have more than less. It is more disrupting to your assembly schedule to have to stop and make one more batch in the middle of putting a cake together. Luckily both cakes will be covered in white fondant with red/black accents on one (picture James Bond goes to the 1898 gold rush) and the other will have burgundyish-red fondant accents with gold sugarveil lace and beads (picture corset style dress from the gold rush days) Off the make one more double batch, just to be safe

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 5

ARemember the amount you need will depend on the fondant. For instance, I need less fondarific than satin ice.

When making a tall tier, I really on the total area I'll need to roll. My fondarific chart is based on 4" height. A 4" high 10" cake will require a total of 18" rolled fondant. A 6" high 6" cake will also require a total of 18" rolled fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%