How Do I Make An Upright Rectangle Cake Stand?

Decorating By simplykatbakes Updated 17 Feb 2014 , 10:12am by kyliecake

simplykatbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplykatbakes Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 3:03am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I need your help, i am very new to cake making but i got an order for a sitting spongebob rectangular cake. I am scared to make it as i don't know how to make it stand without falling. here is the picture of the cake.

Thank you so much and i appreciate your help in advance!

2 replies
stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 3:35am
post #2 of 3

I would say you bake your sheet cakes, cut into strips the width you need for the size sponge bob you are making, and then stack them like a barrel cake. So, two layers, dowel, then stack two more layers, dowel, and so on until you get your height, then run 2 or 3 long dowels all the way through, evenly spaced across. I would think that would work. Hope that makes sense, it would be easier to draw you a picture but I can't

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:12am
post #3 of 3

hi, i did a standing up spongebob a few years ago (see the link below)

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2398153/a/2399153/this-is-a-standing-up-spongebob-cake-i-made-with-a-little-help-from-my-husband-he-made-the-internal-wooden-support-it-was-a-butter-cake-covered-in-fondant-the-hamburger-was-entirely-made-of-fondant-and-the-sand-is-brown-sugar-i-made-this/

i made a cake sheet, cut it into rectangles about 7"x3" and stacked them on top of each other.  i had two thick dowels that went through the cake and were screwed into a board. i then used an apple corer in each layer to make the holes as the support dowels were quite big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%