Layering Tardis Birthday Cake

Decorating By sugarbabygirl Updated 15 Sep 2014 , 10:47pm by Bakrwomyn

sugarbabygirl Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a police box birthday cake from the show "doctor who" for a client and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep the cake standing, this is my first 3D type of cake. any say so is greatly appreciated. :detective: 

12 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 13

ASupport every 4 inches. I'd use SPS.

ImmConNatalie Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 13

AHello! How big are the squares you'll be stacking?

Mshiss Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 13

I did a 4X4X2 inch Tardis and only used a central dowel.  I stacked 4 levels with just buttercream between each layer.  Transported then stacked the Tardis on the base cake when I got there.  It worked really well.

AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 13

AWhat part of the cake was only 2 inches...tall? Wide? Forgive me, I'm trying to figure that out and it's not happening for me. I had some painful dental work done today though, so I may be having a brain "foof".

Mshiss Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 13

Sorry!!  I was typing with a toddler crawling on me.  I made a smallish tardis by stacking 4x4X2 inch layers.  The finished tardis was 8in tall and each side was 4in wide.  It was stacked on a 12in cake.

AZCouture Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 13

AWell that makes perfect sense now...I was hoping it wasn't my silly misunderstanding. I remember typing with a toddler on my lap too.

sugarbabygirl Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 2:56am
post #8 of 13

AI was thinking of 9x9, would that be a safe route? I was going to stack it to 10-12 inches including the box thing on the top of tardis

ImmConNatalie Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 9:34am
post #9 of 13

Goodness that'll be huge!

If you are having layers as big as 9"sq, definitely board and dowel every three layers/4" as AnnieCaHill suggested. Mine was only 4" sq so all it needed was a central dowel (

Are you going to ganache it? Ganache does wonders for stability!!

Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 11:17am
post #10 of 13

AA tardis is twice as tall as it is wide so to make it look like a tardis you are going to have to either make it 18-20inches tall or trim your squares to about 5-6inches... I guess it depends on how many people you need to feed?

sugarbabygirl Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 13

AThank you all for your help and suggestions, this cake is going to do wonders for my clients party. :) ~mimi

Bakrwomyn Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 12:14am
post #12 of 13

I'm a big Dr. Who fan so when a friend of mine asked me to do one for his wife's birthday I happily jumped on that project! It's easy enough to do . . . think of it as a series of stacked cakes. Since he was inviting about 12 to 15 people to the party, I made the cake about 14" tall and which was about 4 separate three layer 6" square cakes.*

and I add just plain ole plastic straws as the support. They're easier than wooden dowels to cut.

Once I determined how tall I wanted the cake to be

You're using modeling chocolate to coat the whole cake . . . now you're cutting out another layer and covering the first cover. Why you might ask? Because now you're going to cut out the panels for the Tardis. Why not just pre-cut and then paste it on (which you do so by carefully brushing on water with a soft brush)? Because it ends up stretching out of shape and now you no longer have rectangular panels. I found putting on a second panel and then cutting out the shapes using a template and an exacto knife much easier. This is a bit time consuming so I recommend putting on a podcast while you carefully cut out the panels. This part's tricky since you want to cut deep enough with your exacto knife to cut out the panels but not so deep that you cut the under layer. It's ok if the edges are a bit jagged because you can smooth it out with a rounding sculpting tool like the one below which you can get at Michael's or any art supply store.

Had I been given enough time (I was working a 45 hour week job at the time) to work on the decorating I would've put in so much more detail but the result for a first time Tardis cake wasn't too bad

and more importantly my friends were so impressed that they referred their friends to me and I've been busy with cake orders ever since!! I've got another order to do a Tardis cake for a friend's 12 year old daughter who is also a big Doctor Who fan (bless her!) so this next one I'm putting in more details.

Bakrwomyn Posted 15 Sep 2014 , 10:47pm
post #13 of 13

another Tardis cake from another order for a friend . . . this one he requested it a "battle-worn Tardis fighting the Doctor's enemies"Battle worn Tardis fights against the Daleks . . . chocolate cake covered in homemade modeling chocolate and cupcake daleks

Battleworn Tardis crushes a marzipan Cyberman underfoot . . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%