First Tiered Cake!

Decorating By nancylee61 Updated 14 Feb 2014 , 9:16pm by nancylee61

nancylee61 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 4

AHi, I just finished my first tiered cake. It is for my niece's birthday, no charge, a practice cake. It is chocolate and yellow cakes, three layers each tier, with jello filling. Chocolate frosting, and homemade MMF fondant from here. The flowers are modeling chocolate.

I made it at my mom's so some things are rougher than I can do them at home. I cut my fondant with a pizza cutter, she had dull knives! No turntable. No Kitchen Aide so every mixing part took three times longer! I had no cake boards, and we had a bad snowstorm, so I had to cut cardboard and cover it with aluminum foil, which I would never do. Next time, I would be more careful with the powdered sugar, so I'm buying the mat. My cakes broke off on the bottoms in the crappy Wilton pans. I'm getting better pans. So much to learn!!!

Question - getting that bottom fondant ribbon smooth made me nuts - is there a secret???

Thanks for any C&C. Nancy [IMG ALT=""][/IMG]

[IMG ALT=""][/IMG]

3 replies
nancylee61 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 4

AOh, and I did put dowels in the bottomland a long dowel all the way through to the cardboard underneath like I saw on a craftsy video! My dad was a carpenter for 65 years! No falling down cakes for me!

adoo67 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 4

AMy first tiered cake was a disaster.I like your cake:)

nancylee61 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 4

AThis felt like a disaster! Thank you! Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%