Cutting Back Product Vs. Still Having Variety

Business By maestro489 Updated 17 Feb 2014 , 5:35pm by Newcakebaker_2012

maestro489 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maestro489 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 6

We currently sell our cakes and pastries at a farmers market on Saturday mornings.  Unfortunately during the winter months the crowds aren't as good.  So we are faced with taking the same amount of product and throwing half of it out, or cutting back and looking like we don't have much to offer.  I have seen others say that if you look as if you don't have a lot to offer it can deter customers, however if you bring more than you need and you don't sell it then you are losing money.  What are your thoughts?

5 replies
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 6

i did not just want to vote because i know what is is like to stand on a market. I wonder if you have electricity outlet on your stand.if so you could have a micowave  and perhaps you could offer hot crumble or hot pasties this way you could catch the market stall holders as well as the public with a hot food. you could also do hot soup. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 6

an idea is to put your product in nice baskets/containers,that just look like they are full of product--place a cardboard on top of some stuffing and place your product on top of that--

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 6

Kate has the right idea. Use kitchen props (such as a display with measuring tools, little bags of sugar or flour, etc.) to help your table look full. Also, make a couple of long shelf life products such as shortbread, biscotti, granola. If those items don't sell, you can bring them back the following week.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 6

and mimi filled out the thought beautifully

Newcakebaker_2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcakebaker_2012 Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 6

AA baker in my are actually posted on their facebook page saying they would be at the local farmers market and would take any special request. Maybe that would help fill some orders for your regular customers. Then tell the new customers to visit your fb page and let you know a week in advance for a special request for the following week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%