Fondant/gum Tex Wave

Decorating By Elysa24 Updated 10 Mar 2014 , 8:01am by Elysa24

Elysa24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elysa24 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:02am
post #1 of 6

AI've been looking into different ways of making a wave to go on a surf theme birthday cake I'm making. I was thinking of using a mixture of fondant and gum tex but I'm not sure how well that will hold because I want to shape it so that about half of the wave is closing in if that makes sense. My plan is to shape the fondant/gum tex over a soft drink bottle until it hardens. I've done some research but I haven't had much experience with using fondant and no experience with gum tex so any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:18am
post #2 of 6

AIt should work....but from what I've read I don't believe gum tex will work with Duff brand, Fondarrific, or any kind of fondant that is mixed with modeling chocolate. Any other brand I think is good!

Elysa24 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:27am
post #3 of 6

AI make home made fondant so hopefully it will be ok with that. The recipe I use has light corn syrup, shortening, salt and confectioners sugar. Maybe I'll have to experiment a little first. Thanks for your advice!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:46am
post #4 of 6

AYou should be good! I've never use gum tex..I'm interested in how it works. Report back if you have time :)

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

I make my MMF and use GumTex all the time and it works.

Elysa24 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 8:01am
post #6 of 6

Sorry for the very late reply!!

I finally got round to making my wave on Friday night and ended up using tylose powder instead of the gum tex.

I actually had to make it twice as the first time I wasn't happy with how the wave looked and thought it didn't set hard enough, so I rolled it out again but added some more tylose and now after a couple of days its nice and firm! I'm hoping to cover it with a light layer of buttercream after I add it to my cake which I am making for Saturday.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will post pics once the cake is done.

Fingers crossed it turns out well. :D 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%