Baking A Cake In The Oster Countertop Oven

Decorating By DIANE VARGAS Updated 16 Feb 2014 , 3:09am by vldutoit

DIANE VARGAS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DIANE VARGAS Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 4:07am
post #1 of 9

I recently bought a home and discovered the oven was broken. I have purchased a convection oven as a short term solution. I have no idea how to bake most things in there. I want to bake a cake and have no idea how to in this small countertop convection oven.

I am just trying to bake a box cake. Does anyone have experience and or suggestions on how to bake a cake in this type of oven? 

8 replies
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 9

i tried baking a cake i my convection oven just for the heck of it and was not happy with the result. Although the instruction say that the heat is instant i think that it still takes time to heat the space in the oven so you cant preheat in the same way as you do with a normal oven.

it did cook the cake but it sunk in the middle and did not rise at it should. it was also different texture on the out side than in the center. i did use the extension  collar because i thought the cake would cook too quickly with the convection element just 2 inches from the cake.

it is great at roasting meat but not any good for much else regardless of what the advertising says!

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

AMy mother-in-law gave me one of these as a gift. The only thing I am happy with that I have used it for is frozen pizza.

sugarflorist Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 9

ALol my one is in the loft

cakefancier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefancier Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 9

I think it's the convection thing.  My regular wall oven can be set to convection mode, but in the 8 years I've had it, I've not been happy with convection results.  Cakes just don't get done enough in the middle.

sugarflorist Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 9

AThat was my experience. It seems that the raising agent gets spent before the cake can cook. I grew up with a gas oven but now use electric. Although I have got used to it I still prefer gas. I think it will be a while before technology catches up and gives us ovens that cook in the same way as gas

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 9

If I were in your situation, I would call customer service at both Oster and the cake mix company. I've found that these companies try their hardest to help the consumer. 

MaritzaBronx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaritzaBronx Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 9

AHi: I bake cakes in countertops ovens all the time and my cakes, cookies and bakes goods come out very nicely done. I have severe arthritis cans cannot bend much so anyway, the secret is bake at at lesser temperature. If on a regular oven the baking temperature is 350, bake at 325-320. Because the ovens are smaller compare to a regular oven, the temperature will be higher and the cakes will not bake properly. Good luck.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

AMy regular oven has the convection and I love it. There is something about the Oster that just work out for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%