Newbie With Questions - I Hope I Haven't Ruined My Cakes!

Decorating By ItsTerriC Updated 16 Feb 2014 , 8:34pm by sugarbabygirl

ItsTerriC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ItsTerriC Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 6

I am hosting a birthday party for 2 year old twins on Saturday afternoon. I want each twin to have their own cake, and designed a two tiered cake for each of them that is similar but has slightly different details. Since I work full time and only bake for family, I never tried freezing my cakes before. I read about it here, and it sounded like a great way to break up the work load through the week. I baked my cakes over the last two nights and put them in the freezer.  I plan to put the cakes in the refrigerator tomorrow (Friday) morning to thaw. After work I will crumb coat them, put them back in the fridge for a bit, and the fill and ice them (hopefully using the Viva towel method to make them look like fondant). I planned to finish adding the decorative touches on Saturday morning. I realized today that I only wrapped the cakes in one layer of Press & Seal. No foil, no plastic bags. Will they be freezer burned or dry? Do I have to start over or is there some way to save them at this point?

Also, does my timeline sound right? I've read so many things and tried to absorb so much of the wonderful knowledge and experience on this site. It seems that everyone has a different way of doing things, so now I'm a bit confused.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 6

AThey're probably fine. Don't put in fridge to thaw though, just put on counter.

ChefinTraining Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefinTraining Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 2:21am
post #3 of 6

AI'd say there probably fine. After they thaw just feel Them to make sure they are still soft and fluffy. Don't ice them while they are still too cold. If you do, later when you take them out the cake will expand when it thaws and will cause air bubbles to form under the icing. (Same will happen with fondant) just put it in the fridge after the crumb coat just long enough to let the icing get hard.

ItsTerriC Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 11:00am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I did run into the problem of an air bubble in the last cake I decorated. I hadn't frozen it, but did crumb coat it the night before and put it in the fridge until the next day. It was still cold when I iced it.You can see it at the top right edge. I also made the mistake of using a zebra stripe sugar sheet. Horrible experience that I won't repeat! 

ItsTerriC Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 6

AI'm confused again. I thought I understood to crumb coat while the cake is cold. Is that right?

sugarbabygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabygirl Posted 16 Feb 2014 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 6

hopefully this tip will help, this weekend i did a character cake for a client then realized i didn't have plastic wrap so i crumb coated while room temp, froze it  for a few hours, top coated, and decorated. it came out so moist like i had just freshly baked it when  i baked it 3 days before the party. my guess is the BC just held in the moisture in the cake. the point of my rambling is, crumb coating while cold just cuts down on the crumbs you get but its not a necessity in my eyes. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%