Home Bakery Confusion

Business By tdovewings Updated 18 Feb 2014 , 2:45pm by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Feb 2014 , 5:07pm
post #31 of 34

Having an inspection is great because then you can sell "potentially hazardous foods" such as cheesecake and cakes iced in IMBC (EGGS!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!).  Haha, anyway, under the cottage food law, anyone can basically make non-potentially hazardous foods without having an inspection.  In VA if you have pets your kitchen must be able to be closed off completely with a door that locks.  That interpretation of the law changed fairly recently (previously, if you just kept them locked up or in another part of the house, it was fine to have pets.  Some home bakers with pets were grandfathered in).  So for people who have pets and can't afford to remodel their kitchen so it can be closed off to the rest of the house, not having an inspection would be the way to go.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 2:46am
post #32 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Having an inspection is great because then you can sell "potentially hazardous foods" such as cheesecake and cakes iced in IMBC (EGGS!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!).  Haha, anyway, under the cottage food law, anyone can basically make non-potentially hazardous foods without having an inspection.  In VA if you have pets your kitchen must be able to be closed off completely with a door that locks.  That interpretation of the law changed fairly recently (previously, if you just kept them locked up or in another part of the house, it was fine to have pets.  Some home bakers with pets were grandfathered in).  So for people who have pets and can't afford to remodel their kitchen so it can be closed off to the rest of the house, not having an inspection would be the way to go.

That's not cool, pets in a bakery.  

As an aside, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my 3-year old last month. 

Son - Do you want to get a pet from my pet store?
Me - What type of pets do you have?
Son - Umm, lizards, turtles, and unicorns.
Me - Okay, I'll take a unicorn.
Son - No pets in the bakery! GET OUT OF HERE!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 1:02pm
post #33 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdovewings 

That's not cool, pets in a bakery.  

As an aside, this reminds me of a conversation I had with my 3-year old last month. 

Son - Do you want to get a pet from my pet store?
Me - What type of pets do you have?
Son - Umm, lizards, turtles, and unicorns.
Me - Okay, I'll take a unicorn.
Son - No pets in the bakery! GET OUT OF HERE!

Awww cute!

Your website is lovely, but when I looked at it I definitely assumed you had a store front.  AZ is right, the only reason I went looking for information in your About was because of this thread otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, maybe that's why she felt like she had been misled.

As an aside "Trained Monkeys" decorating the cakes cracked me up, some days I feel like my younger apprentice is barely out of the trees, don't get me started on what he did to the Chocolate Mousse cakes today. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 2:45pm
post #34 of 34

Yeah I don't let my dogs in the kitchen when I bake.  It's one of a zillion reasons why I don't have a home bakery.  I have friends who let their cats on the kitchen counter.  I hurl a little when I go to their house.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%