Ck Hi Ratio For Kids With Allergies??

Baking By chimom Updated 22 Feb 2014 , 8:55pm by as you wish

chimom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chimom Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, everyone,

Newbie post here. Was excited to try using some hi ratio shortening for the first time after reading all the raves about it. I bake all our cakes due to food allergies. Received my 3lb tub of CK hi ratio shortening today, only to discover that although the ingredients are fine, there is this statement on the package:

Made on equipment that also processes wheat, milk, eggs, soy, peanuts and tree nuts.

Unfortunately, this cake is also supposed to feed 2 kids with allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts & tree nuts! I left a message with CK to ask for further information about what this means but haven't heard back... has anyone used CK brand shortening to make frosting/cakes for kids with allergies to milk/eggs/nuts? Any feedback on your experience? Of course I will need to make my own decision in the end, but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask. I would have purchased a different brand had I known!

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 3

AIt means that even though they don't put those ingredients directly into the product, there is still the possibility of cross contamination. Depending on the severity of the allergy they may or may not react badly to it. Now a days, packaging is required to say "may contain: " or "processed on shared equipment" or some sort of allergy warning.

I knew a woman who couldn't order anything from our fryers due to the fact that we also cooked seafood in them. She was severely allergic and said that even if one little bit of fish got on her fries, she would be going to the hospital. She was the only person we baked chicken wings for.

It doesn't hurt the let the client know about that so they can check with their guests.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 22 Feb 2014 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 3

AIf it were me, I would try to return the product. If I couldn't return it I would give it away or something, but I wouldn't use it. Not worth the risk. The risk might be small, and the disclaimer may only be there as a butt-covering measure, but it means that the company would rather cover their butt legally than ensure a safe product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%