Italian Butter Cream Help Please

Lounge By Gia1103 Updated 15 Feb 2014 , 9:55pm by costumeczar

Gia1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gia1103 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 9

ALove IBC and im wondering how do I make it more stable. And or if I cook my sugar a little longer will that make it a little firmer cooking a cake next week I need help

8 replies
loml001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loml001 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 9

I will usually add some powdered sugar - it helps sweeten it up a bit, stiffens a bit, but it's not enough powdered sugar to make it grainy as an american buttercream would.  I'd suggest trying it in a small quantity and see how you like it.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gia1103 

Love IBC and im wondering how do I make it more stable. And or if I cook my sugar a little longer will that make it a little firmer cooking a cake next week I need help

Can you describe what you mean by more stable?

Gia1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gia1103 Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 12:21am
post #4 of 9

Because the last time I made it it was almost as soft as a whip-cream icing and I just wanted it to be a little firmer.  I love the taste so it dose not matter if its not sweeter

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 1:01am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gia1103 

Because the last time I made it it was almost as soft as a whip-cream icing and I just wanted it to be a little firmer.  I love the taste so it dose not matter if its not sweeter

Ok, there is a simple solution for that! I don't recommend that you add any confectioner's sugar to your IMBC.

The firmness of IMBC can be controlled by the temperature. If it was too soft, it was likely too warm. You can put it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, then whip it and see if that helps, repeat until you like the consistency.

When you are preparing the IMBC be sure you whip the meringue until completely room temperature before you add you butter. Usually about 15 minutes.

Also, are you using a reputable recipe? you want to be sure you have enough butter in there, I recommend this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/b/recipe/cakeloves-italian-meringue-buttercream

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 1:46am
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by loml001

I will usually add some powdered sugar - it helps sweeten it up a bit, stiffens a bit

I have a few friends that do that with theirs as well.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 9

You can take the sugar to 355 degrees Fahrenheit and it will make it a little stiffer, but it could be that your butter was too soft when you added it.

I do a hybrid of the confectioner's sugar buttercream and IMBC occasionally and it works fine.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 9

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

You can take the sugar to 355 degrees Fahrenheit and it will make it a little stiffer, but it could be that your butter was too soft when you added it.

I do a hybrid of the confectioner's sugar buttercream and IMBC occasionally and it works fine.

Not 355...im sure she means 255 :). That was a typo lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Feb 2014 , 9:55pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Not 355...im sure she means 255 icon_smile.gif. That was a typo lol

Oops, yes, 255! I cook too much isomalt these days, I forget what goes to what temperature! 355 would give you some VERY hard icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%