Weird Question From A Bride

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 16 Feb 2014 , 12:39am by Norasmom

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 4:50am
post #1 of 87

I got the weirdest question from a bride earlier.  She was coming in to pick up her cake contract, even though I had emailed it twice and she conveniently never got them, no big deal.  But she texts me right before she gets here asking what kind of compensation I give to brides.  I didn't know what she meant so I asked her.  She replies back "what do you give the bride, a gift or discount for the cake?" I of course said I don't do either.  Is this some new (or old) thing I have missed or has this happened to anyways else.  I just thought it was super weird, why would a business give her some kind of gift just to get her business.  I know some business do give kickbacks, which I think is super stupid, but to give one for a cake?  Strange.

86 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:30am
post #2 of 87

Some bakers do free 1 year anniversary cake, or something similar, maybe she thinks that is the norm?

Using the word compensation is weird though, as if she is doing you a business favour by being a bride?
Eh, people are weirdos.

reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:14am
post #3 of 87

That's was caught me off guard.  It was such a strange word to use.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 7:12am
post #4 of 87

AThis must be going around somewhere because a fellow bakery just asked about that. Said that a bride had asked if the top tier would be free

I don't know where it came from and I don't care because she <--- (me) does NOT give away cake for free lol *snaps fingers*

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 7:45am
post #5 of 87

Yeah weird, never heard of that, at least you have given me a heads up for when it does get here (as all fads eventually do) I will be ready with the, "Nothing this is a business, you either buy the cake or you don't"

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:36am
post #6 of 87

I think she just phrased it weird...Most people around here will give them the option to either include the top tier in the serving count or not include it, and they say that the top tier is free (is isn't). Some people will include the top tier in the serving count and give a free anniversary cake instead. Some do neither.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 87

AI think I would see that as a bridezilla alert!

AivaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AivaCake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 87

AGosh, everyone wants something free. Free tasting, free top tier, free delivery, free 5 dozen hand sculpted sugar flowers....all because some guy put a rock on her finger. SMH. Wish I would have known about all these perks when I was getting married! I spent way too much money! Lol! ;)

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 87

A

Original message sent by LaurenSadler

Gosh, everyone wants something free. Free tasting, free top tier, free delivery, free 5 dozen hand sculpted sugar flowers....all because some guy put a rock on her finger. SMH. Wish I would have known about all these perks when I was getting married! I spent way too much money! Lol! ;)

No kidding! I somehow has the crazy idea that if I couldn't afford something I would not get to have it! Silly me; I really missed out!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 87

Tell her the cost of the cake and then tell her

"oh, yes, I neglected to tell you, the top tier IS free.  Ordinarily it would cost…."  This is done in business a lot, based on my consumer experience.  

What a naive bride.  

I missed the part where the bridal industry is giving "real" discounts.  What sort of discount does Vera Wang give on her gowns??   I want in…!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 87

I do offer a free 1 Yr Anniversary cake only because it was what I kept seeing on some other local sites.  Maybe that has changed and I should re-think?

Maybe she meant "why should I go with you if XXXBakery is offering a _______." 

reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 87

I know some bakeries do offer a free anniversary cake but I've never heard of a discount just for ordering.  Either way, I don't do the free anniversary cake or discounts.  We had already had a consult and tasting and got all the designs taken care of and went over everything she needed to know and I always ask if they have questions or such an she never ask anything like this.  She was literally on her way to sign the contract and showed up about 10 minutes later.  I also don't understand why brides think they are entitled to discounts or free stuff just because they are getting married and want a big beautiful wedding.

AivaCake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 87

AAlso, I'll never understand why a bride thinks she should get a discount because she is getting more servings. "If I get a cake/cupcakes/kitchen cake that feeds 500, do I get a discount?" Uh, no, if anything, it makes me want to charge you more! Lol!!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 87

A bride should go with you because she likes your cakes.  Plain and simple.  Worth every dime to get a beautiful cake instead of trying to just get a freebie.  

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:14pm
post #15 of 87

It's not just brides. Everyone believes they are special and deserving of a discount. I loved owning a bakery but I don't miss the part about dealing with the public. I'd tell some old war stories here, but then I'd start hating those "special" customers all over again.

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 87

AWish I could have been a fly on your wall. Lol

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:16pm
post #17 of 87

A

Original message sent by MimiFix

It's not just brides. Everyone believes they are special and deserving of a discount. I loved owning a bakery but I don't miss the part about dealing with the public. I'd tell some old war stories here, but then I'd start hating those "special" customers all over again.

I'm about to abdicate from working the counter/answering the phone - I love to just hide in the back and bake.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:59pm
post #18 of 87

Its not only brides, most people just expect us to give everything out for free, its ridiculous. I think most people dont understand how much work and time consuming it is to make a cake.

inkyonne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inkyonne Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:35pm
post #19 of 87

Wow!

Thats crazy !  Next time say

"for no additional charge I have personally autographed the bottom of your cake"

or

"as a way of saying thanks I have put your name into our drawing for a free cake... I will call you if you win!"

lol

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:41pm
post #20 of 87

AOh wooooonderful. Is this in some new wedding blog somewhere? Don't forget to ask the baker what they do for their gift to you? Blah!

AivaCake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:41pm
post #21 of 87

A

Original message sent by inkyonne

"for no additional charge I have personally autographed the bottom of your cake"

Bahahaa! I'm going to start writing my name in icing on the cake board before I start stacking and icing my cakes! Just to give it a little something special! ;)

AivaCake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:42pm
post #22 of 87

AYou just watch! Friday I'll post a picture as proof!

inkyonne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inkyonne Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:52pm
post #23 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenSadler 

You just watch! Friday I'll post a picture as proof!

lol~

Make sure they know that this is a BONUS ! Not all customers get this special treatment !

hahaha

AivaCake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 87

AOh, totally. I'll take pictures as evidence. I mean, a Van Gogh painting didn't mean much without his signature, right?!

Okay, starting to sound a tad arrogant, here! But that is TOOOOO funny!!

costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:09pm
post #25 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I used to work retail, and so did my roommate. She came home from work one day, stomped into the apartment and yelled "The general public sucks!" I totally understood what she meant.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:36pm
post #26 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I used to work retail, and so did my roommate. She came home from work one day, stomped into the apartment and yelled "The general public sucks!" I totally understood what she meant.

Not trying to derail this thread, but I worked at an upscale department store in college.  In the hosiery department.  I had an impeccably dressed older lady, about 70, come up behind the counter, turn around, lift her skirt up, and ask me to read the tag of the panty hose she had on, so she could buy some more. :shock:

O. M. G.

Liz

reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:21pm
post #27 of 87

Liz, that's nothing, I also used to work retail and on day I was working in the fitting room and when I checked on one older woman I got pulled into the dressing room to help her change into a few other outfits.  It was so uncomfortable.

costumeczar Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 12:36am
post #28 of 87

Oh, I can top both of those stories...I also used to work at a gynecologist's office doing insurance and reception, and at one point a couple of the nurses were going to be on vacation and they asked me if I would take their place on a couple of shifts if they were short staffed.  Just getting the patients into the room, giving them the gowns, taking the blood pressure and that was it. No problem, no blood, nothing invasive.

But I guess the doctor was under the impression that I wanted to train to be a nurse. so she called me into an exam room and there was a patient up on the table with legs up, speculum, in, oh my God. She then proceeded to tell me to LOOK AT THIS WOMAN'S CERVIX to see where the bad spot was. I had to go along with it because I didn't want to freak this poor woman out while she was up on the table, so I was treated to the sight of a cervix that needed a biopsy.

After that I longed for my good old retail days, when the only thing that would happen was someone changing their clothes in the middle of the sales floor or using the fitting rooms at their private toilet.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 12:44am
post #29 of 87

The immature part of me really wonders what possesses a man to go into gynecology. They aren't all twenty something year olds. The patients, that is.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 13 Feb 2014 , 12:46am
post #30 of 87

Kara wins.

Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%