How Do I Work Out The Quantity Of Buttercream I Need?

Decorating By Molly69 Updated 12 Feb 2014 , 9:26pm by crnewbold

Molly69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly69 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a 3 layer 10" round sponge cake filled with buttercream and decorated with the vertical pleat/ruffle type buttercream decoration.  I know this kind of decor takes an awful lot of buttercream, but I wish I could find somewhere that helps you work it out exactly.  When I have done this in the past I always seem to make too little and end up having to make a dash to the shops to buy more butter and make another batch!  

I am making the classic buttercream - butter, icing sugar, water & vanilla.

Any ideas anyone? Or has anyone made this kind of cake that would know how much I need?

thank you 

7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 8

Wilton used to have an icing guide for base amounts, perhaps you could check their site.

I've gotten into the habit of making more than enough, as the extra can always be frozen and saved.

(or squished between graham crackers for easy cookies).

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:14am
post #3 of 8
mermaidcakery Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:17am
post #4 of 8

AAlso, maybe you could try doing one ruffle as a trial and see how much it takes? Then just estimate how many of that size you will need. I'm not sure if you are using the Wilton recipe, but 1c fat plus 4 c sugar makes about 3-31/2 c of icing.

Molly69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly69 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:41am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all very much - had been trying to find that link for ages!!  I don't have time for a trial run, but at least once I have done this one I will know for next time :grin:

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly69 

Thank you all very much - had been trying to find that link for ages!!  I don't have time for a trial run, but at least once I have done this one I will know for next time :grin:

Molly69: I've done a couple of things to go along with "knowing for the next time".

3 ring binders  With  recipes and directions written out in sleeve protectors.

Photos of tools used in a project, or what something look like during the process, like my own personal tutorial. and tips so I'll remember and get it exactly right the next time.  and

techniques and notes written on stickies.

Cheers,

mb

mermaidcakery Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 8

AAs far as the trial, I just meant do a single ruffle on the back of a cake pan or some wax paper. I know what you mean about time. I usually just wing it, then I'm always nervous I don't have enough of something. So I make way too much instead. But that saved me last week, when I pulled enough frosting out of the freezer to ice 30 cupcakes.

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 8

Love that idea of a personal three-ring binder for reference.  I have intentions of doing that myself.  I have so many sticky notes inside cabinet doors, on top of the shortening can, on the backs of recipes, on the fridge, on my dresser (you know, after emptying my pockets).  Never thought of including photos though.  I think I just decided on a new-year's resolution.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%