Decorator Buttercream Frosting Help, Please?

Baking By DTZ28 Updated 12 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm by AnnieCahill

DTZ28 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 9:20am
post #1 of 5

Need assist with my buttercream icing recipe that I've used for years:

2 cups shortening

2 pounds confectionary sugar

6 - 8 ounces of heavy whipping cream 

2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring

1/2 teaspoon salt

When Crisco removed the trans fat in their shortening, the cake frosting bubbled to the point that I needed to pull it off the cake.  I also found that others experienced the frosting actually breaking down and sliding off the cake.

Since that time, I have mixed some shortening containing trans fat with Crisco (that has no trans fat), but am requesting a healthier, reliable solution to my frosting dilemma using the same recipe.

For example, it has been suggested that I add 1 tablespoon meringue powder per cup of shortening to the recipe--will that prevent the bubbling I experienced, and potential slippage from occurring?  Will it change the flavor of the frosting?

I've also heard that corn starch could be added (up to 2 tablespoons per cup of shortening), but then I read that corn starch is only to be used with frosting that needs to be cooked (vs. chilled, as in this recipe).

Any reliable solutions, please?

Thanks so much!

4 replies
cherbearcakes Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 5

A Been using this. Tastes amazing and really great texture.

DTZ28 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Cherbearcakes,

Sorry, but not sure of your response...

Did you mean you use the frosting without trans fat shortening on large wedding cakes, etc. without a problem (bubbling, etc.)?

Or, did you mean you add the meringue powder to the recipe and like it?

Thanks much!

cherbearcakes Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 12:28am
post #4 of 5

AMostly the meringue powder part but I also use shortening with no trans fat and I never have a problem

AnnieCahill Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 5

If you want healthier, I'd go ahead and use real butter if you can.  I can't imagine eating a solid Crisco icing, whipping cream or not.  I would either switch to butter or get high ratio shortening if you can't get Crisco to work in your original recipe.  It might benefit you to give other recipes a try.  There are lots of good ones out there that you might like better. 

When I first started decorating 15 years ago, I did the meringue powder thing and I think it made my icing gross.  It had a sour smell and taste that was very noticeable.  I wouldn't use it. 

Since you like Crisco, have you given Indydebi's recipe a try?  She said she never noticed when Crisco took out the trans-fats.

Quote by @%username% on %date%