Mmf With Tylose

Decorating By joriza2 Updated 10 Feb 2014 , 8:56pm by JennaGee

joriza2 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 2

AI like doing my own MMF on cakes because of taste and I read that to add Tylose on your fondant will make it gum paste. Since I use MMF and tried to add a little Tylose it made it set a little harder but not as hard as gum paste. I am still on the stage of experimenting and trying to keep my cost down with out sacrificing taste. Has anyone tried MMF with Tylose to make figures and anything that calls for gumpaste ? I just wanted to know if anyone has been through this to save me time. I really like to have fondant that I can work with easily that is when making shoes , bags and all. The store bought ones look easy to work with especially with small details. Anyone know if this is really feasible? Thanks in advance

1 reply
JennaGee Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 2

I always use tylose with MMF, but I make sure to give a few days to dry for added stability. I've made shoes using the high heel shoe kit and MMF with tylose added.

I just dip the amount of MMF directly into the tylose and knead it until I feel the fondant stiffen. When I tear the fondant apart, there's a 'snap' not a stretch. That's when I know it's ready. It's feasable for me, easier to work with, it doesn't dry as fast as gumpaste so I have more working time. 

I just don't know about taste because my toppers are rarely eaten. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%