Why Are Cake Dummies Made Out Of Styrofoam?

Decorating By craftybanana Updated 10 Feb 2014 , 9:09pm by cupadeecakes

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 5

AWhy are the dummies made out of Styrofoam? Do they need to be porous? Or can you just use a slicker surface like acrylic, sealed wood, etc? Does the fondant or butter cream not stick on the sides if it's not porous?

Also, has anyone ever heard of a cookie-dummie? I figure if there's such a thing as a cake dummie, there has to be a cookie dummie. I wonder if making 3 dozen cookies to try out one design might be a waste of tasty dough, especially if you can't just clean it off and try again. I dont know, maybe I think too much, back to the kitchen with me!

4 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

They don't have to be Styrofoam but they are because Styrofoam is light and easy to work with and cheaper then most other materials.  I can't imagine how heavy a round piece of wood or acrylic that is 4" tall and whatever diameter you need would be.  Also, it would be super hard I would think to make other materials into a round shape and I would imagine they would be super expensive.

I have never seen a cookie dummy.  If you want to experiment with different design the you could just work them out on some parchment paper and not have to keep baking cookies.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

AI would just use a gingerbread house or ornament recipe for cookies. Cheap and they last for ages.

Styrofoam works because its light, cheap, you can carve it, stuck things into it... Etc. a 3 tier wood dummy would weigh more than cake, and you wouldn't be able to put wired flowers in.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 5

AThank you for the replies. I didn't think of the lightness of the Styrofoam, but I have seen other materials just as light that were easily wipe-able (maybe not wood or acrylic). So I thought it was a just a porous thing. When I used to do face painting, the Styrofoam dummies were a pain because they were too light and didn't clean off nicely (especially red)

I didn't think of doing a gingerbread-type cookie to practice with. Now that I think of it, salt dough might work also to try out a new cookie cutter and some designs. I like having the constraints of the an actual cookie because it gives me a better feel for how to work with royal icing, I guess I'm just weird like that, lols.

I'm just now getting my decaf beverage of the day, hence the brain was spinning a bit off kilter this morning, lols.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

As far as cleaning styrofoam dummies, I have a neat trick... Before I cover my dummies in fondant, I give them a good coat of shortening.  Months or years later you can soak the now brittle, dry fondant in some hot water and everything comes right off, leaving you with your dummy to decorate again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%