Photo Of My First Cake. Any Advice?

Decorating By MissCherDev Updated 28 Feb 2014 , 6:25am by RosaO

MissCherDev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCherDev Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 11

AThis was for a family Baby Shower. I watched dozens of how to YouTube videos and dove right in. Nervous every step of the way.. Lol. Definite learning curves underway. I made cakes from scratch, just a simple vanilla cake.. Wasn't moist,.. I usually put pudding in my box mixes but wasn't a sure if I should do the same for scratch cakes. Mental note,. Include the pudding... Lol. Made everything from scratch. First time working with fondant. Tricky business for sure. All in all it received compliments & I was asked to make a couple birthday cakes. Not sure what to charge. All very new to me. Any advice appreciated. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3184099/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

10 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 11

AWow that's an awesome cake!! Very neat for your first time with fondant! You have a gift there :)

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 11

Cute cake, you did a good job especially for your first cake.  The only suggestions I have are to make taller cakes, the standard/average height of a cake is 4".  I would also make sure the top of each cake is completely level, which you middle and bottom tier is but not the top.  And then maybe change the sizes of each tier so that there is more of a difference between tiers, like 6" with an 8". But the shoes and flowers are great.  Good job.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 11

For your first cake, you did an awesome job!!! WOW!!! You really have the knack for cake decorating!!! Your cake is so neat looking!!! Great job!!!

MissCherDev Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 11

AThanks for the tips & compliments. I need to invest in some larger cake pans. The bottom tier was actually from a spring form pan.. Lol. Any suggestions on good pans? I'm wondering how I can get the larger diameter cakes to cook in the center without burning the cake? Is there a technique got that?

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 11

You can get bake even strips or a heating core to help if you are worried about it.  I never use them though and never have a problem.  I bake all sizes of cakes all the time and I usually bake at 350 for 32 minutes or so.  If the middle is not done all the way I just put it back in for a few more minutes and have never had a burned cake yet (knock on wood). 

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 11

You did a great job for your first cake!  You received a lot of good advice already but I just wanted to say the shoes and flowers are very cute and Good job!  I'm sure you've heard it before but practice, practice practice is your friend.  Looking forward to your next cake   :)

MissCherDev Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 1:12pm
post #8 of 11

AThanks everyone. Appreciate it :-)

SweetMelissa730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa730 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11

AVery impressive for your first cake! Great job! :D

ChefinTraining Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefinTraining Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 3:05am
post #10 of 11

ACute! Hard to believe it is your first cake! I agree with reginnaherrins advice. Taller tiers with a bigger difference in size and flatter tops. The flatter tops will also help you get sharper edges. Your shoes, flowers, and bow are great.

As for the large cakes not cooking in the middle, try turning your oven temperature down a little bit and bake longer. If you normally bake at 350 try reducing it to 325.

Great job!

RosaO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosaO Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 6:25am
post #11 of 11

AWow beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%