Advice On How To Get This Finish And Colouring

Decorating By Louiselovesbaking Updated 24 Feb 2014 , 2:22pm by BeesKnees578

Louiselovesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louiselovesbaking Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am doing a cake based on this theme of steampunk. I need to find the best way of getting the same effect on the icing. I gather this is probably airbrush which I don't have and I have really spent out on the cake so don't want to spend as much on the spray cans. So I was wondering about brown icing and then things like metallic paints and lustre dusts, if you sponge paint some metallic paint on and then use some dust, but which method and colouring are best, gold or bronze or bit of both and if bit of both which colour is best in which product eg bronze paint and gold lustre or gold paint and bronze lustre. I also have pearl lustre dust in my stock if that would be any good? Help please. 

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3034467/steam-punk-wedding-cake/

6 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 7

I would start with a med/dk gold (gold/brown mix) fondant.  Maybe a mix of antique gold and bronze lustres?

I think the more "layers" you have, the better it will look.  I would try experimenting different options on small pieces of fondant.

If you don't have an airbrush, I would dry brush the lustre on fondant.  I wouldn't attempt it in buttercream, but that's just me.  I'm not that adventurous!

Louiselovesbaking Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you, yes def not doing buttercream haha. Do you know if you can mix metallic paints into fondant? And if so does it make a big difference with a little paint or would you need a whole bottle?

BeesKnees578 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

I wouldn't mix them into the fondant....you will end up wasting a ton, when you only need it on the surface.

And if you do the dry brushing, don't load up your brush and start dusting...you will have a concentrated spot of lustre and you will also waste a ton trying to "buff" it out.  Tap off most of it and go in thin layers until you get the look you want.  And near your cracks, go darker with the darker dust.

If you have a steamer to use over the fondant once all your lustre is applied, it will sheen it over and make it look more metal-like.  And don't forget to get a little darker in the cracks and crevices....you can use gel colors mixed with a little alcohol to thin.  I would apply all of my metallics first before "dirtying" it up with the dark crevices.

OK...so you are totally making me want to go and try a steampunk something.....

And go easy, especially if you are going to use the gel paint in your cracks!  Don't wanna over do and mess up after all that work.

Hope that helps!  Good luck and post pics!

Louiselovesbaking Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 7

Thats fantastic thank you. I already have a med/dark gold metallic paint in my stock so I think il just buy some bronze dust. Il do brown icing and sponge/rub on the metallic paint first, thin layer first and build up. Il def go darker in some of the cracks, thats a good idea, and then Il use the bronze dust thinly over it and build it up. I am attempting the inside working mechanics too! I bought a steampunk bogs mould, they won't be as big as the cogs in that pic but will go for the same effect. The top is going to have a steampunk book with a steampunk book worm with a top hat and monocle. Then its going to have smaller falling books tumbling down the cake. I have really managed to achieve an ages look on the books, so fingers crossed it will all look nice. I had never heard of steampunk before this!! Had to do all of research but hubby knew a lot about it so got there in the end. I will post a pic of the final result when its done in a few weeks. Thanks again.

Louiselovesbaking Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 7

I have done it! :) Went really well. This was the final result;

Steampunk book work cake. This was my most favorite cake to make so far. For a special girl who just loved to read and was very into steampunk and old fashioned things. Complete with a steampunk book topper with a vintage book worm.

BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Feb 2014 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 7

WOW!  That came out AWESOME!  Way to go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%