How Much Would You Charge For This Frosted 8 Inch Cake With Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By laceycakesnyc Updated 10 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm by laceycakesnyc

laceycakesnyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 3

Adorable cake!

There's a formula.  It takes a bit of time but once you do it a few times for each cake you will figure out pricing easily.

- How much did the ingredients and packaging cost.  (Add a bit of a mark-up here because it took you time to order these things on your computer)

-How long did it take you from start to finish including clean-up, and what do you wish to pay yourself hourly? ( In MA, $20/hour is reasonable, but this is a state with a very high cost of living.  It would a bit less than that in Iowa where my husband is from).

-What is the cost of your overhead, such as cost of kitchen certification, insurance, electricity, internet access, dishwasher, gas to get to grocery store, mileage on your car, childcare (if you have kids), marketing (if you market with biz cards and such)  and anything else that went into the cake? 

Add these costs up and you will have your answer.  We don't know your costs so it's up to you to do the math.  Like I said before, do it a few times and you will easily price your cakes.  And don't' do it by comparing yourself to other bakeries, because they have different costs than you.

laceycakesnyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laceycakesnyc Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 3

A@norasmom Thanks so much for your response! I came up with the price of $65. It was a coworker who asked so I felt a little uncomfortable because I wasnt sure if the price was too high.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%