Raspberry Cake

Baking By Sarah1986 Updated 11 Feb 2014 , 10:57pm by LeanneW

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 9:48am
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I've been asked to make a wedding cake and one of the cakes they want is a raspberry cake, does anyone have a recipe????

They have requested 3 tiers, chocolate, vanilla & rasberry sponge, do you think this would be ok to be stacked with dowling?

Thanks

Sarah

6 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 10:06am
post #2 of 7

I've never heard of a raspberry cake, can you make a vanilla cake and instead of using vanilla use raspberry flavour and a bit of colouring? If you use fruit you will have to put it in the fridge. With regard to stacking, check out SPS. There is no better way for stability when stacking cakes. Leah has a tutorial on it. She converted me and many others!

Sarah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah1986 Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 10:57am
post #3 of 7

No I havent heard of one either which is why I thought I would ask.

Sorry whats SPS?

Thanks

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 2:10pm
post #5 of 7

My favorite strawberry cake contains freeze dried strawberries, strawberry extract  and strawberry jello.   I know there are freeze dried raspberries because I have some, and of course raspberry extract and jello are readily available.  I have not tried it, but it seems as if it would be fine made up in raspberry instead.  Try subbing 1/4 cup of your sugar with 1/4 cup dry jello, add 1 tsp or so of extract, and 1 cup or so of finely chopped freeze dried raspberries (including the powdery bits).  This would be for a base vanilla cake recipe with about 3 cups flour. Raspberries have more seeds, hopefully not a problem!  Will probably need to play with it.  How about a white cake with raspberry filling instead?

ps - I just tried chopping a few of my freeze dried raspberries and they didn't see to have a lot of seeds

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

I read somewhere about using powdered fruits.  I googled it online and there are several places to purchase and even a site that tells you how to make your own fruit powders.  The powder is supposed to add more flavor to whatever your making.  It's supposed to be good in buttercreams and baked goods.  I haven't tried it yet, but I did dehydrate and then grind up some raspberries and blueberries.  You do need to filter out the seeds from the raspberries, though, and there are a lot of them!  Using powdered raspberries might add just the right amount of flavor to the cake and even a bit of color without affecting the texture of the cake.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 7

I have made this recipe, which everyone loves, like a hundred times! http://cakecentral.com/a/scratch-moist-strawberry-cake

To make it raspberry, substitute raspberry puree and raspberry jello. I did this once and it was amazing, the color is really nice too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%