First Time Ever, What Do You Think?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 11 Feb 2014 , 1:57am by BeesKnees578

sweetneice Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 3:01am
post #1 of 7

Hey All!

This is a first for me! I have never done anything star wars before, bur did an order anyhow for someone I knew. They loved it, but what do you think? Just like to hear from my cake friends! 

6 replies
reginaherrin Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:06am
post #2 of 7

I think it is really cute.  I like the details of the death star, it looks great.  The only thing I don't like is the boarders.  I think it takes away from the coolness of the death star and just doesn't match the rest of the cake.  Otherwise its great.

AZCouture Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:24am
post #3 of 7

AReally cute, except for those borders, they look really out of place. They're nicely done, but for a sheet cake, maybe.

FlourPots Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:54am
post #4 of 7

Very, very nice...

I agree about the borders...

A buttercream cake can look great with a fondant border (colored fondant balls, for instance), but I don't think it works well the other way around...a fondant cake with a buttercream border.

Also, is that disco dust on the bottom tier?

MBalaska Posted 10 Feb 2014 , 4:58am
post #5 of 7

Sweetneice: Love the Star Wars theme.  For a first time It's a fantastic start.

sweetneice Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 1:46am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys! It wasn't disco dust,...just cake sparkle

BeesKnees578 Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 1:57am
post #7 of 7

Yes....very impressed with the death star!

"Star Wars" lettering could be neater.

Also, you should either invest in half-inch cake drums OR hot glue a few cake circles together for a thicker board, cover in at least bakery foil, preferably fondant, with a ribbon around the bottom for a more professional appearance.  Writing out your wording on a single layer cardboard round does not cut it professionally, if you want to set yourself apart from everyone else.

I would have made the base cake taller as well and sharpen up the edges, unless you were going for a rounded look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%