Wedding Cake Quandary

Decorating By SterlingJo Updated 9 Feb 2014 , 11:53pm by SterlingJo

SterlingJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SterlingJo Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

AI am making my own wedding cake (3 layers per tier, 3 tiers: 10", 8", 6") and am wondering about filling. I will be using a buttermilk chocolate cake recipe that is quite moist and light even without freezing but I will be freezing each layer individually, as I bake them, leading up to the big day. The cake will not be iced, decorated solely with cocoa powder, baby's breath, and fresh raspberries, and will contain raspberry filling. My quandary is this: The tiers will be assembled at home, transported to the venue, and stacked on site the day before the wedding (unrefrigerated but covered by a custom made cardboard box the for the night)... I am concerned about the whole-fruit filling making the cake soggy, changing colour, or spoiling (I have 3.6 kg of frozen raspberries to use). [B]Is there a recipe that will allow me to assemble the cakes around 2:00 the day before and serve the next evening around 7 without having to worry about sogginess, colour change, or spoiling?[/B] Or, am I being unreasonable (should I suck it up and maybe tint some buttercream so it's not as visible?)?

7 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

Is your raspberry filling commercially made or cooked?  If not, your cake will need refrigeration until it is served.

Liz

SterlingJo Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

A

Original message sent by liz at sugar

Is your raspberry filling commercially made or cooked?  If not, your cake will need refrigeration until it is served.

Liz

I will be making it myself, probably based on a compote-like recipe. With no dairy I was thinking it would be fine for 24 hours (that's why white cake with lemon curd was vetoed)... I'm mostly worried about sogginess.

SterlingJo Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 8

A...I should have mentioned in the OP that commercially-made fillings are not an option as we have several people with severe chemical/dye allergies on the guest list.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 8
you can outfit your box to keep your cake chilled--just like for example fedex ships perishable foodstuffs overnight with the proper packaging--outfit your box with some frozen packs--you'll be fine--

i'm more concerned with the edges getting dry--so cover it up good of course you know that--

as for preventing sogginess you could put a thin layer of buttercream on each cake layer above and below the filling--like a thin layer like you'd put mayonnaise on bread--the fat will prevent the filling from seeping in--but i suggest you use a granny smith or other tart apple in your filling and cook it down down down down down so there's no chance of it weeping out the side--the pectin in the apple helps hold the fillings--

best to you--most industrious of you--hope you have good help too  
SterlingJo Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

Thanks! I'll look into the apple suggestion :)

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 8

Ahttp://www.cakeboss.com/CakeStuff/Recipes/RaspberryFilling.aspx

I have made this recipe several times and it is delicious. According to the website it keeps at room temp for several days.

SterlingJo Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 8

A

Original message sent by Sassyzan

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeStuff/Recipes/RaspberryFilling.aspx

I have made this recipe several times and it is delicious. According to the website it keeps at room temp for several days.

I will give it a shot during the trial run, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%