New To Making Cakes And Need Help On How To Make And Charge For This One

Business By whaleflower Updated 9 Feb 2014 , 4:17am by CakersbyEggers

whaleflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaleflower Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 1:39am
post #1 of 5

Hello,  So I was thinking of charging 150.00 for this cake.  Do you think that's to high for a childs cake??  Its a 9 inch round cake with just butter cream filling.  and the characters I'm still not sure how to make, they look like they are over Styrofoam?? I've only made small ones just with fondant.  lol  Any suggestions for me would be great!!!  Thanks

4 replies
bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 1:48am
post #2 of 5

I think I would make these out of RK rice krispies and cover in fondant good luck

CakersbyEggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakersbyEggers Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

I agree with the rice krispy treats and fondant. How much are the supplies going to cost? How much are you paying yourself per hour? How many hours do you think it will take you to make the cake, frosting, decorations, etc.? Answer all of these questions and you should get a fair price. I do not think it matters whether it is a child's cake or not. If they want that cake then you tell them how much you can do it for. They either choose to accept the price or not. I always ask what the customer's budget is even if they have a specific cake like that in mind. Then I try to still give them what they want (maybe scaled back a bit or more) and still be true to myself as an artist and baker. I work hard and caking is not easy. I hope you are able to do it. My oldest daughter would love that cake just because of the minions. Good luck.

whaleflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaleflower Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 3:51am
post #4 of 5

Rice Krispies!!! I didn't even think of that.  lol  Are they hard to work with? Any tips?  I will look on the site as well to get info.  Thanks so much for your help on this!!

CakersbyEggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakersbyEggers Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 4:17am
post #5 of 5

They aren't awful to work with, but they can get heavy. There are several different ways to work with them/make them. I am sure you will find plenty if you search.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%