Need Help!

Decorating By Crystalbella Updated 23 Feb 2014 , 2:11pm by Crystalbella

Crystalbella Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 7

Hello I am making my first 2 tier cake covered in fondant for my sons first birthday party. The bottom tier will be a 2 layer 10 inch cake and the top tier is going to be a 2 layer 8 inch cake.  How much fondant do I need? I am also going to need it for some decorations. Also is it better to store the covered cake in fridge overnight? I will assemble it at the party. Thank You.

6 replies
IAmPamCakes Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 7

ASatin Ice has a chart that shows how much fondant you will need to cover different size tiers. I looked at the Wilton chart once, and it says to use WAY more than you'll need. Usually, a cake will be fine in the fridge. Leave off any decorations that will melt in the humidity.

Crystalbella Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 7

AThank you so much

Sassyzan Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 7

A60 oz for covering. You should have quite a few scraps leftover for decorations, but better to have too much than not enough. http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-coverage-chart.cfm

Refrigerating fondant can cause it to sweat and draw moisture when it warms back up to room temperature. Some people do it with no problem. I tend to avoid refrigerating fondant whenever I can. It is not necessary to refrigerate it unless your cake has perishable icing or filling.

Crystalbella Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 7

AThank you. The cake is a yellow cake with cannoli filling. I was going to make it the night before and store it in the fridge, the take it out in the morning and box it right before we leave to go to the site. Good idea or no?

Crystalbella Posted 23 Feb 2014 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 7

AThank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%