St. Catharines/niagara Ontario - Regulations For Home-Based Bake Shop

Business By niagaracakery Updated 28 Feb 2014 , 5:50pm by niagaracakery

niagaracakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niagaracakery Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 1:39am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am hoping that someone else from St. Catharines /Niagara Region in Ontario can help me. I am trying to find out what the regulations for a home-based bakery are, and I am having no luck on the city's website.

Thanks!

3 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 4

Call your Board of Health first.  They will have rules you have to follow for set up then contact city /township you are in for tax and legal set up.  Hardest part is following BOH.  And what they demand is what you need to follow.  ( Never mess with Board of Health rules... even when doing fundraising I stuck by the rules and had many parents ridicule me... however one day they did appear to inspect...so glad I choose to do the right thing..)

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 9 Feb 2014 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 4

Don't forget to check with you City Office as well.  You should first ask if you are even allowed to operate a home based business in you neighbourhood.  If they say yes then you must follow the rules from you local Health Dept.

Running a home based business might up your City Taxes so be aware of that.  You might get reassessed as commercial.  Which is more expensive than residential.

Good Luck 

niagaracakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niagaracakery Posted 28 Feb 2014 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much! Contacted our Public Health and am in the process of setting up a separate kitchen. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%