How To Use Vanilla If You Can't Use Alcohol

Baking By nancylee61 Updated 8 Feb 2014 , 7:11pm by tdovewings

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I don't drink at all - and most recipes call for real vanilla in the buttercream frostings. How can I use vanilla when I don't drink? How can I taste the frosting? I know when it is baked in, it is fine, but raw, the alcohol in vanilla could cause an allergic reaction.

I am sure there are others who don't use alcohol. Ideas?

Thanks,

Nancy

13 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 14

Some places actually do make "alcohol free" extracts.  I have never used them so I can't attest to the taste or the price.  Here's the first link that showed up from a Google search:

http://cooksvanilla.com/category/21/Alcohol-Free-Flavors.html

If you're allergic to alcohol, be aware that the all of the alcohol will not burn off during cooking, there will always be some (even if trace) amount left in the product.

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 14

Scrape out the insides of a vanilla bean... mix with whatever liquid you are using in your buttercream or mix directly into your buttercream... Never done it, but it may work...

Check out vanilla bean paste... I am not sure if it contains alcohol... I don't have any in the cupboard right now to check...

nancylee61 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate it, because I do hate fake vanilla. 

Nancy

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 14

If you make italian or french buttercream, you can simmer vanilla beans in the sugar syrup before you make the frosting.It will impart a nice vanilla flavor.

Also, use the vanilla beans from simmering, dry them out and put them in sugar to flavor the granulated sugar.  you can use this sugar to make your buttercreams.

They also make vanilla powder.

It is a common misconception that the alcohol burns off.  It does, but at a radically slower rate than people presume.  That said, the amount of alcohol any individual would consume from a vanilla cake and classic frosting is in the one milliliter or less range.

So if for personal or medical reasons you are avoiding alcohol, try the things above and you will have great complex flavor.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 14

Two possible choices - 1. Vanilla paste (This is what I use.)

2. Vanilla powder- (This is expensive if you get the good stuff.)

The drawback on both of these is that you will have little brown flecks of ground vanilla beans in your frosting.  Of course you can just tell people that it a sign that you are using real vanilla not cheap imitation.  I heard my nephew tell his girl friend, "See the little brown flecks, she used the good stuff in this."  

nancylee61 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 14

Hi,

I make SMBC, can I still do that? Thanks,

Nancy

nancylee61 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 14

Hi,

I love the flecks!! Thanks!!! 

Nancy

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 14

Vanilla paste, powder and sugar can all be used in Swiss.  I don't know if you'll get as much from the bean in the eggwhites, but you could try one.  The other meringue buttercreams easily allow for the bean to be steeped.  You might want to try one to see if you like it.

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 2:12am
post #10 of 14

You can make your own alcohol free vanilla flavoring - I won't call it extract since it doesn't use alcohol.  It's really easy to make.

16 fl. oz. food grade vegetable based glycerin
6 fl. oz. hot water
2 oz. vanilla beans

Mix glycerin and hot water in glass jar with lid.  Split beans, remove seeds, cut beans into small pieces, add beans and seeds to glycerin water mix.  Put lid on jar, close tightly, and shake well. Shake daily for one week, then every few days for the next six weeks.  The longer you let it sit, the darker it will get.

Begin using when you like the flavor it has achieved.  Store this flavoring in the dark cabinet.  Does not require or need refrigeration.

I purchased the vanilla beans from either VanillaProductsUSA or Beanilla.  You can also find good quality vanilla beans on Amazon or Ebay.

nancylee61 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 14

Thank you!! I didn't know that!
Nancy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 14

some vanilla bean pastes have extract listed in the ingredients so be sure to read the labels--

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_789 

You can make your own alcohol free vanilla flavoring - I won't call it extract since it doesn't use alcohol.  It's really easy to make.

16 fl. oz. food grade vegetable based glycerin
6 fl. oz. hot water
2 oz. vanilla beans

Mix glycerin and hot water in glass jar with lid.  Split beans, remove seeds, cut beans into small pieces, add beans and seeds to glycerin water mix.  Put lid on jar, close tightly, and shake well. Shake daily for one week, then every few days for the next six weeks.  The longer you let it sit, the darker it will get.

Begin using when you like the flavor it has achieved.  Store this flavoring in the dark cabinet.  Does not require or need refrigeration.

I purchased the vanilla beans from either VanillaProductsUSA or Beanilla.  You can also find good quality vanilla beans on Amazon or Ebay.

I'm trying the glycerin method (sans hot water) with some coconut off of the tree in the front yard.  I made coconut chips like the ones at Trader Joe's, managed to not eat all of them, put some in a glass jar and then poured glycerin over it.  I completely forgot about until yesterday, when opened a drawer (dark place) and found it.  This coconut has been steeping for a couple of months now, so it should be right coconutty:lol: 

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 7:11pm
post #14 of 14

Trader Joe's sells alcohol free vanilla extract at a really good price, for future reference. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%