Sams Buttercream Gets Hard?!

Decorating By ncsweetcreation Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 1:48pm by bigdad

ncsweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsweetcreation Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi..I'm having buttercream issues that are driving me crazy..i hate making 30 pounds of buttercream just like any other baker..I cannot get my buttercream recipe to work out..Looks great at first in the bucket but a day later I see tiny pools of the weeping in my bucket..i have read to add cornstarch and thought of trying that..I only have a KA so i can't make huge batches (only 2 lb bags at a time)..anyways..just not like it used to be! (Have not tried the high ratio shortening..only crisco)..OK so for months i have been buying the sams buttercream (almost $40 a bucket!)..it is ok when you first open it..a day later..like clay..it will BEND YOUR METAL SPOON totally over..it takes FOREVER to REMIX their bucket by adding water to thin it..but i have done it many times..problem is when you thin it, its great for that day..next day, siezed up again..what in the world..I have baked for upteen years and this is a problem now as i have a tiny, fast paced bakery of cupcakes, cakes, cookies, etc and remixed a bucket of $40 icing is getting old..I would absolutely make it myself instead of wasting my time IF i could find a recipe that is quick and easy. I do all the baking, decorating, customer service, cleaning, dishes, etc. and am not a yr into our bakery and still not wealthy enough to hire someone regular. HELP! i have ready that indys BC recipe is good..i need shelf stable (no refrigeration)..any suggestions..ps..customers LOVE the sams buttercream but I can't justify rewhipping a huge bucket daily in a KA mixer..takes forever!

4 replies
ncsweetcreation Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 11:58am
post #2 of 5

ANo replies? Suggestions? You mean no one else uses SAMs buttercream in a bucket? Or has had the SAMs buttercream issues? It has to be temperature sensitive issue. The girls at SAMs say their decorating area is always hot and they never have a problem. My bakery is only 450sq ft and all open so I don't have a "warmer" area to put it. Would love to hear any feedback plz. Also added cornstarch to MY buttercream recipe to see if it weeps any. Scared for the changeover to my icing because I saw that tiny bit of weeping the other day that I have never noticed.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 5

I make the Wilton recipe buttercream and it turns out very smooth. If it gets hard I usually add water or milk.

ncsweetcreation Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 5

AIts the SAMs icing in the bucket that gets hard. My tried and true buttercream recipe w crisco and marg is what is weeping a tad. Having to remix SAMs which is defeating the purpose and my recipe is 10 yrs old (Wilton recipe) and shortening u buy NOW isn't the same producing the weeping

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 5

Have you asked the bakery at Sams does this happen to them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%