I absolutely love the flavor of this frosting...Its not too sweet. Taste great, but it will melt at room temperature.
This is what I do:
- Make a mixture of flour and milk: about 5 tablespoons flour to 1 c. milk.
- Heat up in a saucepan until mixture becomes a thick battery consistency.
- Take that mixture off heat and let it cool down.
- Add teaspoon of Vanilla once cooled.
- In a separate bowl: mix 1 part shortening, 1 part granulated sugar) until it's light and fluffy. (Make sure you thoroughly whip the butter-sugar mixture )
- Add in the flour mixture. The beat it until the sugar disolves...
The frosting is fine when its cold, but it starts to melt at room temperature. I use to use a soy-butter (non butter), but now I'm going to try Crisco instead. I don't know how "overbeating" works, but I hear you can't really overbeat buttercream frostings.
Any advice? I'm new in this whole 'frosting world'