My Latest Work...am I Charging Too Much?

Decorating By Rossana67 Updated 6 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm by paulstonia

Rossana67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rossana67 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:28am
post #1 of 6

~~This is my latest cake work but I did it over styrofoam cause I am still just practicing. This lady I know wants me to make the same cake, same size, same everything for her sister's wedding. The cake sizes are 10", 8" and 6" and she wants a mix of white cake and chocolate cake. I am thinking of charging $600. Do you think I'm charging too much for this cake?

5 replies
Karlay Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karlay Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

AVery pretty, if that's what the bride likes, your ahead if the game. The only thing to work in is the finer details. Your tiara looks a bit unfinished to me. Details and coloring is kinda muted. The price is about right for the time and materials needed for this cake. I'm a home baker, so I've only made two wedding cakes, not as detailed as your. And my brides paid $ 200 for theirs and it was a gift cake I charge cost plus my time. And my second was a budget wedding cake for $180. Again simple design and few man hours. My next cake is 4 tiers and priced at $300-650 depends if bride wants marzipan or fondant plus magnolia flowers. Here's my most recent cake for birthday. 6 inch 3 tier cake orange pastry cream, white chocolate ganache, mmf. If I sold this what do yo think? Between $75 and $90 is what I came up with. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3181060/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Rossana67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rossana67 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:54am
post #3 of 6

Thank you Karlay. The tiara is not really finished since I didn't have the right luster dust but I am going to fix it. I think you are charging too little for the 4 tiers cake. I would higher the price for the 4 tiers cake and charge $75 for the one you posted above because it is only a 6" tier. But then again it all depends on the cake I guess. Anyway you are asking the wrong person. I have made many cakes but never sold one until now. My first one is for a birthday party for 40 people 10 x 10 plus the topper (pic attached) for next week charging $130 and the one I posted above for a wedding maybe charging $600...I hope I am being fair.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

Seems like a reasonable price, that cake involves a lot of work since theres details. But the flavours are pretty basic, maybe 500$?

Karlay Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karlay Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

AYour work looks good. Thanks for the suggestion. It's nice to get feedback from everyone. Were all doing the same thing. Editable art work!!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 6

That cake serves 74 if you include the top tier. So that is just over $7 a serving. What are other bakers in your area charging? If your in line with most custom cakers in your area and you can get it great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%