My Latest I Charging Too Much?

Decorating By Rossana67 Updated 6 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm by paulstonia

Rossana67 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:28am
post #1 of 6

~~This is my latest cake work but I did it over styrofoam cause I am still just practicing. This lady I know wants me to make the same cake, same size, same everything for her sister's wedding. The cake sizes are 10", 8" and 6" and she wants a mix of white cake and chocolate cake. I am thinking of charging $600. Do you think I'm charging too much for this cake?

5 replies
Karlay Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

AVery pretty, if that's what the bride likes, your ahead if the game. The only thing to work in is the finer details. Your tiara looks a bit unfinished to me. Details and coloring is kinda muted. The price is about right for the time and materials needed for this cake. I'm a home baker, so I've only made two wedding cakes, not as detailed as your. And my brides paid $ 200 for theirs and it was a gift cake I charge cost plus my time. And my second was a budget wedding cake for $180. Again simple design and few man hours. My next cake is 4 tiers and priced at $300-650 depends if bride wants marzipan or fondant plus magnolia flowers. Here's my most recent cake for birthday. 6 inch 3 tier cake orange pastry cream, white chocolate ganache, mmf. If I sold this what do yo think? Between $75 and $90 is what I came up with. [IMG][/IMG]

Rossana67 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:54am
post #3 of 6

Thank you Karlay. The tiara is not really finished since I didn't have the right luster dust but I am going to fix it. I think you are charging too little for the 4 tiers cake. I would higher the price for the 4 tiers cake and charge $75 for the one you posted above because it is only a 6" tier. But then again it all depends on the cake I guess. Anyway you are asking the wrong person. I have made many cakes but never sold one until now. My first one is for a birthday party for 40 people 10 x 10 plus the topper (pic attached) for next week charging $130 and the one I posted above for a wedding maybe charging $600...I hope I am being fair.

SweetShop5 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

Seems like a reasonable price, that cake involves a lot of work since theres details. But the flavours are pretty basic, maybe 500$?

Karlay Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

AYour work looks good. Thanks for the suggestion. It's nice to get feedback from everyone. Were all doing the same thing. Editable art work!!

paulstonia Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 6

That cake serves 74 if you include the top tier. So that is just over $7 a serving. What are other bakers in your area charging? If your in line with most custom cakers in your area and you can get it great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%